Home decorating from the 1920’s…part two

Okay, this has always been my favorite part when looking for magazines in that old rock house. I loved getting my hands on anything that had to do with decorating. Now I do love my crafting but that is mostly a hobby of mine. My true passion has always been home design and decorating.

I always looked forward to Halloween as a child, not because of the candy but because I would get a chance once a year to see the inside of all the beautiful homes I loved in our neighbor and my favorite was an adobe across the street from us.

Two professors lived there that taught at a university in our city. They both were always so nice and I always got a tour of their beautiful home whenever they saw me at their door for Halloween.

While I ate my full sized candy bars that they handed out, they would walk me around their home talking about the art on their walls and the souvenirs from their travels around the world. I wonder what their home would have looked like in the 1920’s. They loved to entertain so I know it would have been beautiful then as well as it was in the 80’s.

The 1920’s were a time of really caring about the things we filled our homes with because of all the entertaining they did with friends back then, just like my favorite neighbors across the street from my childhood home.

The designs back in the 1920’s were not only practical like this cabinet with all its storage but also to me were very pretty.

Of course I would love to get my hands on one of these cabinet’s. When I am out second hand shopping for unique items I am always on the hunt for things like this.

Can’t forget dishes for our cabinets. Everything was so beautiful back then for the homes, guess it was for all that entertaining they did. Remember they did not have cell phones, computers or televisions in the 1920’s. All they had were each other to keep entertained with. I wonder if there were a lot of jealous housewives and overworked husbands back then trying to keep up with the Jones’s.

I have a couple of these chairs hanging around in rooms. I have three, two up north and one in my kitchen (my favorite) that my cats also love. It is all taped up and surrounded by scratch pads to help keep them distracted from it.

I do love my wing-back chairs. There was a lot of blue in this ad. A very calming and beautiful color.

Most of the ads promoted keeping your house not only beautiful with their products but also very clean.

There were ads for rugs.

And ads for beautiful living rooms which always had a fireplace somewhere in the rooms.

This slideshow requires JavaScript.

I loved this white couch, maybe not great for a family of kids and animals but it has a classic look about it so it would even work now in the 21st century. Notice the fireplace? In Arizona we don’t have a lot of homes with fireplaces here in the city but up north where it snows those fireplaces do come in hand. We have an old cook-stove in Our Little Red House and that thing gets hot. It is crazy how well those old stoves work.DSC_2278.JPG

I always called this type of couch a hide-a-bed sofa. I have one up at the little red house. It’s not very comfortable but it is better than sleeping on a hard floor. Got to be thankful for those little things too.

I have seen these blankets at thrift stores over the years. I should have picked up some. They are really soft to touch, so if you are out junk shopping and see a design like this, it just might be a blanket from the 1920’s.

This slideshow requires JavaScript.

I imagine someone being very happy receiving a set of pans like this as a gift. My husband who loves to cook I know would love this set.

This photo did not turn out too well but I still wanted to share it with you all because I just love the homey feelings I get from it. I want a breakfast nook like this to drink hot cocoa and read in.

So there you have it, home decorating from the 1920’s, hope you all loved seeing some of these ads from a time long ago. We have a lot of conveniences now so our lives have really improved. Next post will be on Fashion ads from the 20’s. I did write that there was a lot to cover in this giant magazine. It is double the size of standard magazines we have today.

1. Thank you, so glad you liked it.

1. 3C Style says:

Love, love, love… What a treat this is. I’m just like you. I really like home design and decorating. It’s so nice to discover the sociological aspect of old ads. Your old magazines are priceless. Another great post!

1. Puts a smile on my face that you also love the old vintage things from years ago, it have always enjoyed going back in time when I was a little girl visiting that rock house.

1. 3C Style says:

Oh if you were living closer I would take you with me to so many antique shop and vintage boutique here in Montreal. I know them all!

2. That would be so much fun. Here in Arizona we go up to Prescott for antique shopping. I did an older post on it https://ourlittleredhouseblog.wordpress.com/2018/01/31/a-day-in-prescott-arizona/ It was such a fun little trip.

3. 3C Style says:

Such a great shop with so many treasures. That poster with a French Twist… I want it so bad. Thanks for sharing. 😍

4. You’re welcome, glad you liked it.

2. This is fantastic! I love these.

1. Thank you, there are a couple more post coming up. They had such beautiful ads back then.

1. The ads were so colorful and detailed. I also love the old seed advertisements. I’m looking forward to your posts 😀

2. I will have to look for some seed ads for you. If I find any I will post them later. We are off now for a road trip so I will be off for awhile. Arizona is huge and there are some places that don’t get cell services.

3. lanature76 says:

Very fashionable advertisement! I mind the sofa bed ☆

1. Thank you, hope all is well over in your part of the world. Heard about those storms you were having, that is so scary. I like sofa couches too because I like things that have two purposes.

1. lanature76 says:

It is a calm autumnal weather and fresh now. However, a typhoon is also occurring on the south side of Okinawa. I do not know yet which direction to come, but I want the typhoon to disappear😭

2. Oh my gosh, please stay safe. We don’t experience that here in Arizona (USA) we are pretty calm throughout the year, just super hot summers.

I really enjoy your vintage pics, love love love! Can’t believe you still have those pics.

1. Yeah, I am a bit of a clutter bug. I was able to keep some things from my childhood. The pages from that old magazine are falling apart they are so old. I keep them packed away nicely in a dark room. Thought it would be a fun post, so I brought them out for some photos.

5. Tanya Kohl says:

I love the 1920’s era. I always wanted a flapper dress. And I’d love a cabinet like that too filled with pyrex. : )

1. That would be so cool, also love the old things. Flapper dresses are so cute.

6. My Journey as Housewife... says:

Loved this blog post! I love all things old!

1. So happy to see your comment, was wondering how you were doing, My old computer that I wrote my posts on finally died and it took a few days to get a laptop. They are crazy expensive but I had some birthday cash to spend for a rainy day. My husband and son picked it out for me, it is actually a family computer but I am fine with that. It is better to share. I also love all things old. I have a couple more post coming up on that magazine. Have a great weekend.

7. I love our hideaway bed. It is from the 90s a sectional we picked up to give us lots of room for tv watching as a family (pets included) we pull it out on “campout” nights.

Love the unique cupboards of eras past, not sure where a jam cupboard fits in but Ive seen a few and would love to find one thrifting.

Those blankets i grew up with very simular ones in the 80s lol..itchy scratchy but wish had a few for nostalgia.

1. Think it’s the wool in them, they look super soft in the ad though. Wool in coats and sweaters always makes me itch.

8. I loved it. Wingback chairs are the best and most comfy in my opinion. Sitting straight up or leaning left or right, you just always fit 🙂

1. I have to be so careful, I Love Wingback chairs so much that I can’t resist buying them when I see them. They have good bones so you can always re-upholstery them.

1. Exactly. My favorite one was found in a thrift store with a matching foot stool. I hit the jackpot with that one 🙂

2. They always have the best furniture in second hand shops. They knew how to make furniture back in the day and that furniture last too. It awful how new modern furniture now tends to fall apart faster.

3. I agree. Plus it has more character, and personality 🙂

4. Yes, you are definitely one of my people, we think alike. Old furniture does have more character.