Dollar day do over- wooden block snowmen

Picked up a bag of blocks on my dollar day shopping trip at our local thrift store here in the city. Took them home and painted them white to create a whimsical snowmen arrangement with them.

SQDSC_6797.JPG

I decoupage scraps of fabric to the blocks.

SQDSC_6809.JPG

Then added buttons.

SQDSC_6864.JPG

Remember I have a ton of buttons to use in my crafts. Everyone donates their old buttons to me. I am happy with this large supply of buttons because it is fun looking through them, trying to decide which one to choose.

SQDSC_6812.JPGI Drilled holes in the sides to add twig arms.

SQDSC_6883.JPG

Then added some glue in the holes to hold twig arms in place.

SQDSC_6883.JPG

Did the same with the single block which ended up being the small snowman. I decided to do a pair. Snowmen should never be alone.

SQDSC_6885.JPG

Searched through my wooden beads and found the perfect heads for my snowmen.

SQDSC_6801.JPG

All it needed was a coat of white paint.

SQDSC_6804.JPG

Then I added a face with puffy paint and a tiny orange felted nose.

SQDSC_6892.JPG

Sewed a little hat and added a scarf.

SQDSC_6888.JPG

And now my upcycled blocks have a new look…little snowmen.

SQDSC_6908.JPGSo if any of you come across old blocks and your babies are all grown up and no longer babies, turn those blocks into snowmen. I think they came out kind of cute and perfect for decorating my coffee table. The best part was that this didn’t cost much at all to make. Happy Holiday decorating everyone. Remember to include everyone when creating especially the younger generations, we need to keep our kids creative…art is good for our souls.

1. kat says:

What a cute idea! My kids have us drowning in blocks, so I’ll have to remember this for when they’re older. I’d love to be able to give the blocks back to them as cute little decorations we’ll no longer step on.

1. Love that, never thought of that. Turning your kids toys into home decor for when they are adults. Cool idea.

1. kat says:

I love Legos, but really look forward to the day I can glue them together. My kids may not thank me, but my feet will.

2. So funny and true. I don’t know how many times I have vacuumed up lego pieces by mistake. Lego sculptures around the rooms would make great art even for adults.

aren’t these just the most adorable artsy fartsy snowman ever!
    I have a huge collection of buttons too, cant resist a bag full for a few bucks lol. I have a craft closet, its not very big, I could store supplies many places if I wanted to but I like to keep it all together, I get crafters guilt when I open the door and supplies come flooding out lol, but then again to make adorable artsy fartsy snowmen one needs all those supplies, I must try to remember that when I feel guilt come over me. most of my supplies are found at thrift stores garage sales and dollar stores.

1. That’s exactly why I love second hand shopping and I have never been afraid to admit it. Maybe when I was younger though, kids like to tease, so it’s better to keep that second hand shopping close to your heart at that age. Then when it becomes trendy and cool to shop the frugal way, you can brag all day long. Have you seen the prices of vintage brands…crazy. Artists and creative people have always been okay with where ever they get their supplies, just as long as they can keep creating.

Yup ive seen the prices…and i tell the world the deals and cool things i got and were…my entire adult life…i agree with the child thing except now its hip and even my kids friends hit up the thrift stores for fun lol

2. So do my kids. THings are getting too crazy expensive out there.

3. Such a clever idea! You did an amazing job decorating the cubes….very festive.

4. 3C Style says:

These are super cute snowman! With all the beautiful decorations you make, you could open a shop on Etsy. Just a thought. Merry Christmas.

1. Awww…thank you. I did try selling my handmade baskets for awhile but I had to take some time off of doing a shop because of health issues. I have more energy now so hopefully I can get that back up again. Merry Christmas to you too.

1. 3C Style says:

I’m sorry to hear you had health issues. I know how hard it can be. My hubby is going through some tough time because of his health. So glad that you are better now. Let me know when you get your shop back again. Keep well.

2. I hope your husband gets better soon. It is so hard on the whole family when someone in it is not well. I will keep you all in my prayers for a healthy, safe and happy holiday season.

5. hahaha when I got to the part that where you said if you have old blocks and your kids aren’t babies…in my mind I thought for sure you were going to say send those old blocks to you for your coffee table hahaha 🙂 They are wonderful creations, as always 🙂