Turning an old kitchen cabinet into an Ikea inspired TV stand.

Remember that post I did a few weeks back on my trip to IKEA ? Well, I had some items I saw there that I put on my wish list that I wanted. I thought maybe it would be fun to see what kind of designs I could come up with on my own using trash or second hand pieces I found out in the world for a much cheaper price.

Besides having two grown kids in college (one 18, the other 21) our house here in the city that was built in the 50’s had some repairs we needed done. The storms we been having caused a leak in our roof, which we just had redone 8 years ago. Plus our pipe froze out back because we forgot to cover it. It snowed for the first time in 60 years here in our city. Crazy weather. Snow on cacti is a very beautiful site so I am glad we got some.

I am afraid of what Our Little Red House is going to look like when we head up for the Spring.That house was built in the 40’s. Old homes have good bones and a whole lot of character but they come with a load of upkeep. Up there it snowed so much the road was closed for awhile. We wouldn’t have been able to check on it even if we had wanted to. A friend of ours sent us this photo from up there and this was after her and her husband cleared out some snow in order to get to the generator.

IMG_3495.JPG

Anyway, guess what I am trying to say is that we have other bills to take care of before we start spending our money on items like pretty furniture. We did the next best thing, we went junking. This is what I call it. Usually during pick up days in our city, there will be so much stuff piled everywhere from home repairs and all those larger items that regular trash services doesn’t pick up. This is the perfect time to find scrap building supplies.

I have been “Junking” since I was a little girl with my dad. He would take things home, repair them or scrap them. He did it back in the 50’s when he was a kid. It isn’t as gross as it sounds and it helps the planet. Designers all over this planet are “Junking” even while I write this.

This is what I saw at IKEA. I would love to have a TV stand but I want more storage, plus remember it has to be cheap. I don’t have hundreds of dollars to spend on items like new furniture. Even if I did, I still think it is nice seeing what we can come up with ourselves and it’s better for the planet.

This is what my husband and I found…an old kitchen cabinet, some wood pieces, and couch legs. Trash to someone else but a treasure that day for us. I couldn’t wait to get home and start making an entertainment center.

I tend to look at a piece for awhile before I decide where to go with it. With this piece I wanted glass doors. I headed to my local thrift store on dollar day and found three large frames with glass for a total of $3. It just so happen that there were three large frames for sale that day, which is rare. Sometimes I do have days when I walk in on a dollar day sale and find exactly what I need for $1.

Once back home with my second hand purchase, my husband cut out the center sections on the doors and added the glass to them.

Meanwhile I spray painted the sofa legs.

While they were drying I stained the wood scrap pieces that we were going to use for the top of our stand.

The spray paint was $4 and the stain was left over stain I had that was going to dry up soon if I didn’t find something to do with it. Plus we had some polyurethane from our stash as well that was going to go bad soon. De-cluttering and organizing does have it’s advantages. Use up what you have first before spending more money. Okay so our total is at $7 now.

Then the storms started coming in and we had to finish up this project inside our back room that we call our Arizona room, kind of like a green house with walls. So while everything was drying I scrubbed and gave my cabinet a good cleaning.

While I finished up some of the detail work, my husband attached the legs to the bottom of our stand.

Then added the doors and shelves. I also looked through my stash of spray paints and found a little bit of brown to spray paint the handles for the doors. Everything was starting to come together very nicely.

It was my husbands idea to add a lighter color piece of wood to the center. We didn’t have enough wood scraps for it all to match so we had to get creative.

I love how it turned out and it has so much storage. I needed a place to put some of our books. The counter top is the perfect place for a couple of plants or to drop our sunglasses and keys on.

I found a really bright basket second hand that looks great on top with it’s bright orange color. I think it brings out the coloring in the wood stain.

I always have fun coming up with a new piece of furniture.

Another item kept out of a land fill…nicer for our pockets and planet.

I know I drive my family crazy when I say “ Hey, we can make that ” and you know what…so can you. So I hope you all have fun out there “Junking” yourselves. If you do, send me photos, love to see what you all come up with. I still have many items on that wish list of mine so I will definitely be out there looking for new pieces to design.

This whole entertainment center saved us a ton of money doing it ourselves. Happy junking everyone.

1. Looks amazing. Well done 🙂

1. Thank you. I am working on an old school bench today. Looks like rain is headed our way too, so I better get busy.

2. Ingrid says:

You guys did an amazing job – love it!

1. Thank you. I have to be careful on trash days. I want to fix up everything. I usually give out a lot of the pieces I redo. Some things just need a little TLC.

It looks amazing……….very well done!

4. kat says:

It looks beautiful! I would never have guessed it didn’t come from a store.

1. Thank you. It holds a lot of books too.

5. This is great! The strip down the center really makes the grain in the other wood stand out so much more, I think. Not knocking any stores but I bet the one you made is sturdier and will last longer.

1. Thanks, I hope it last. I can pass it down to one of the kids. They can laugh about their parents upcycling projects, it will be full of crazy memories of our trips junking.

1. Hahaha some of my most prized possessions are from “junking”. I didn’t know it was called that though haha

2. I think that is just a crazy nick name I named it. I have so many fond memories of doing that with my dad. We would also go to auctions and bid boxes of weird stuff and take it home to either give out to others or redo.

3. That’s sounds like it was wonderful 🙂 Years ago there were always several auctions around. Now the closest one is a little over an hour away.

4. We have one down the street from us but they usually sell larger items like vehicles and appliances.

5. Sorry I hit send too quickly lol 🙂 the auctions always had so many treasures. I’d have to remind myself constantly when I went that I couldn’t afford everything nor have space big enough to store it all. 🙂

6. Sometimes my husband jokes with us that we need a warehouse. I love fixing things up but we really don’t have the space.

7. Hahaha but…but…but there are so many pretty things being tossed out 😉

8. Exactly, and so little time. So funny.

6. I love going to Habitat for Humanity’s Thrift stores. We got a storm door with the frame, screen, and glass for $30. I’ve even bought paint there $3 a gallon can. You could get 3/4 full or more. I got my first laptop from my son who went “dumpster Diving”. Lots of fun. Your new furniture is wonderful. I need to show my daughter.

1. Thanks. I remember when I worked for a clothing store in my teens and when things didn’t sell they would mark it down as a loss and toss it. The store next door was a world market type of store and they would throw away baskets and other home decor items. We couldn’t take the things our company tossed but we did take home basket when they were tossed from the store next door. So sad how wasteful we are with things, wish companies would donate. I know some do but there are so many things being thrown away when there are so many people out there that may be in need of these things.

1. So true. I think I’ve passed on the rescuing gene to my kids. They are always tearing things apart to remake them. Have you checked out freecycle.org There is no selling, but give away and is all over the world.

2. No, I will have to check that out. Thank you so much for the info. I might be so busy now with projects my family will wonder how the house got so dirty, I love it though. Fixing up the broken things always makes me happy.

3. I know what you mean.

7. Awesome !! What a wonderful and creative idea to re-purpose and make yourself something thoroughly unique ! Love it !!

1. Thanks, now all I need is a new bed. We found one to clean up at a giant yard sale, now that is off our list. I need to redo our bedroom.

1. Can’t wait to see what you’re going to come up with 🙂
        Have a wonderful Sunday !!

8. Chiru says:

Looks a great work there… Creative…

Fabulous transformation! Love it!

10. krcc says:

Great step by step info! This is really a transformatiion! Cant believe that big glass frame was only a buck! Great finds and another cool and pretty home addition. Golly, you guys could have your ow store with all the remade goodies you guys make. Creativity at its best! Blessings.

1. Thank you. It’s my daydream to have a store, that would be so cool. Have a great Sunday and Blessings to you as well.

1. krcc says:

Maybe you could start out small. Perhaps selling from your garage like a yard sale. Its always best to hv a business where u live. Even though u may not hv time to remake the goods youve found, it seems like those inexpensive finds u hv are already great things even I would want to buy at a yard sale. My sis and I often drove to a thrift store when we lived in LA. But it was quite a drive away and there was a fee for parking. But we’d still go cuz of the goodies there. Happy Sunday to u as well. (It is Monday here now on Guam.) 🌅

2. Great ideas, I should try some. I still have an Etsy shop I need to fill and I no longer have time to teach art classes at my home but hope to start that up again. What a small world we live in, it is already Monday somewhere else. Have a great Monday then.

This is stunning, the idea to use large frame glass for the doors is genius, how did hubby cut it if you don’t mind I ask? did he use construction adhesive to attach it? I love the odd wood insert in the middle, I often use my wood pile that way and in my opinion it adds amazing character. I also love dumpster diving, thrifting is great but free and rescuing things from ending up in the landfill for sure is the best.

1. Thank you, it was also a fun project to work on with my husband. My brother-in-law is a glass artist so he has all kinds of special tools when it comes to glass. One year he gave me tons of broken stained glass to make mosaics with and also a glass cutter, I still have all the tools. I think they are pricey though when you purchase them. We use that to cut glass with and usually use an old towel to do it on. I sill have boxes of glass to work on mosaics in my garden. I have too many projects. I told my son he would have to help me with some art for our garden and pointed to boxes of glass in storage. I am really trying to de-clutter, which is not easy but it is getting done finally. Love to hear there is another dumpster diver out there. Half the furniture and building supplies we used up north where from dumpster diving. Life is expensive, gotta save money where ever we can. You and your family have a great week.

Same to you…nice to have tradesmen in the family!

12. Michelle says:

This is amazing!! It looks so good!!

1. Thank you. My favorite part was the price. I was all ready to spend $300 dollars on furniture, so glad I waited until we made our own.

13. It turned out fabulous!!!!

1. Thank you, so glad my husband helped me with this one. Favorite part is all the storage it comes with and the money we saved of course. Plus it is so much better for our environment when we make things ourselves or turn old stuff into useful new stuff. You do such a fantastic job yourself with all the art you create with recycled and up-cycled items.

14. If you wouldn’t show us all pics, no one can believe that someone really created this wonderful piece of furniture at home!!

1. So sweet…thank you. I can’t believe all the junk out there laying in the side of the road just waiting to be made pretty again, anything is possible.

1. Was going through other DIY posts on your blog… You are extremely talented to turn any junk in a beautiful piece of useful stuff!!

2. Thank you, that is so sweet of you to say. Anyone can do it I believe, broken things just need a little tender loving care.

15. This is amazing!!!!!!!!

1. Thank you, it is fun figuring out how to make something from something old. Your barbie furniture always amazes me. I know you could do that with the big stuff too, you are very creative.

16. Camie says:

You and your husband did a fabulous job! It turned out better than anything store bought-new. Very functional, too. Love it!

1. We have too many books as my mother-in-law would say. Happy we have a lot of storage with this piece.

17. Taking something and turing it into something else! Very nice