Sunshine flowers in an Arizona desert.

Sometimes the smallest things take up the most room in your heart.”

Winnie the Pooh

Before the sun heats up everything and all the flowers disappear, I have been taking my camera out while hiking to capture some of these beautiful flowers for you all.

Sometimes I will nickname the little flowers I come across out in nature.

These flowers remind me of sunshine.

The way the yellow mixes together in each petal, like sun rays coming through a cloud.

This is what greeted me one early morning hike.

They were everywhere.

When the light hits them just right, they are the prettiest color of yellow. Kind of a mix between a bright yellow and a soft buttercup color.

There are all kinds of little critters out crawling around these flowers.

This morning we saw a ton of lizards running across our trail.

Even the lizards have beautiful colors to share with us all. Look at the blue spots on this one.

I told one of my cousins I have been trying to hike early in the morning before it gets too hot and she told me “ I love hiking too, but there are a lot of snakes out there right now”. I always forget about that when I am out there.

At one point on this hike, like always, I brought up the craziest comment to start a conversation. Maybe some topics should be left for those moments when we aren’t in the middle of what I was about to say to my husband “Hey, did you know it is snake season right now” he was walking ahead of me while I looked down at snake holes all around us on the trail. He turned around laughing and said “It’s always snake season here” and continued walking.

“Yeah, but there are more right now” I answered back. I don’t think he believed me though because he continued walking ahead. Maybe he was just trying to take my mind off of snakes everywhere because we still had to hike back to the truck. Or maybe, secretly, my husband hates snakes and here I was talking about them while we walked through their homes. It was starting to feel like an Indiana Jones movie.Was it really “Snake season” or was that just an exaggeration floating out there in the world to freak us all out. Keeping us all in, glued to our screens watching the news. That little bit of information did come from an early morning news show.

Sure enough, once we were in our truck and driving away, right smack dab in the middle of the road was a snake curled up. My mouth hanging open in surprise, in a little shock I guess, I turned to my husband I said “ Hey, did ya see that snake back there?”

He stopped the truck “No, why, do you want to go back and get a photo?”

“NO WAY!, those suckers can jump 3 feet or more. I don’t need any snake selfies…no thank you”. Looks like I am the one after all that is freaked out by snakes. Weird, since I never really was when I was a child out there walking the desert. Guess it’s because I am a mom now. Once you have children, your life doesn’t belong to you anymore, it belongs to them. From the moment that little baby looks up at you, you know, that you have to be there to protect it as long as you live.

When I got home I emailed my cousin and told her “Watch out for the snakes, you were right, they are everywhere right now” I don’t think she will be hiking soon.

There you have it, hope you all enjoyed taking this hike with me. Most of the flowers are starting to go away now but the barrel cactus are starting to come into bloom, maybe I will have a different desert flower to share with you all next time.Sorry no snake photos, but they do jump. So please, if you are out here in Arizona, just enjoy the cacti and leave the snakes alone. Happy hiking adventures everyone.

“ It never hurts to keep looking for sunshine”

Eeyore

1. ekurie says:

Thank you, these are beautiful. I miss living in nw New Mexico a little. Not the cactus you’ve got there but the stark beauty of high desert.

1. It is very peaceful out there too. So happy you liked it.

2. I thoroughly enjoyed this walk! These pics are amazing!🤗

3. Lovely photos! Have you and your grandson saw the movie Christopher Robin? It’s great I loved it! Great blog!

On Fri, May 24, 2019, 9:25 PM Our Little Red House wrote:

> ourlittleredhouseblog posted: “Sometimes the smallest things take up the > most room in your heart.” Winnie the Pooh Before the sun heats up > everything and all the flowers disappear, I have been taking my camera out > while hiking to capture some of these beautiful flowers for you all.” >

1. Thank you, and no I haven’t seen it yet. I need to watch that, I have heard it was really good. I used to love Winnie the Pooh when I was a little girl and took my pooh bear everywhere with me. I even made one from an old coat when I was an adult. I will always have a soft spot in my heart for that silly old bear. Hope all is well over on your side of the country. Have a beautiful weekend.

1. All is quite well. I haven’t posted any photos of our new home as qell its apartment but i love it
        Those were beautiful photos of those flowers in your blog. What areuou taking photos with so detailed! And closeups ! Have a great Sunday!

2. Thank you, can’t wait to see what you do. It doesn’t matter where we live as long as we fill it with the things we love, any place can be made into a home. My husband and I don’t have cell phones so we use our old Nikon cameras. It is a little weird in some situations when I have my camera with me and I am shooting the old fashioned way, most people use their phones so they don’t draw attention to themselves. I love doing a shopping post once a month to share with you all and that it is when it gets a little awkward taking photos inside a store. Cell phones are so tiny they are easy to ignore.

4. kat says:

I grew up near the desert, but never spent much time in it. I used to think it was just brown and boring with cacti just waiting to stick me. But your love of the landscape and beautiful photos have me thinking otherwise, and now I wish I lived closer so I could go explore. Blooming cacti are lovely!

1. You are right about it looking brown and ugly from a distance and those cacti hurt like crazy when they get stuck in you. But there is a ton of color out there. I would love to do a rainbow of colors with my photos all from the desert. It has always amazed me at how many bright colors are out there.

5. Gorgeous pictures. And I love your Pooh Bear and Eeyore quotes. 😀

As I was growing up, my dad used to tell a story about coming home from work one day when I was a toddler and finding me sitting on the front porch, playing with a rattlesnake that was in my lap.

Miraculously, the snake did not bite me!

1. Wow, that is scary but it just goes to show that there is a God and he was always right there by your side watching out for you. I will have to share that story with my family, they will love it too. You and your family have a beautiful weekend.

1. Thank you. Same to you. 💘💘💘

6. I can’t make the pictures bigger, as I am not on a phone but is that a bee I see in the 3rd picture down? Looks like it is settling in the shade. These are great, and you had me cracking up about the snakes. I felt like me and hubby were on the trail because the monologue is the same hahaha. I always walk up front though. He isn’t a good “spotter” He gets into the looking around. I am spotting for snakes and looking around. True story, the ONE time I let him walk up front, I am soaking up the scenery. I happen to look down because the elevation changed under my foot and I wanted to look and make sure I was still on the path. Which I was and Snake! My next step would have been on its tail. Hubby was ahead and to the left of me. He had walked arms length right past this at least 5 foot snake. He stopped because I had said snake!. Hahahaha He said don’t move, and walked calmly back to me. After we got past it, shew and back on our hike he says, I’m sorry baby. I bust out laughing, looking over my shoulder and said, “well we know who isn’t allowed to be the spotter anymore” hahahaha. AND after we were in the car, leaving. We see a snake curled up, smushed in the road. It wasn’t there when we came in hahaha. We discussed, mayyyyybe it was the same one I almost stepped on but in reality they are always there. Sometimes it’s their “in season” time, and there might be more. Also the reality is too that out of all the hikes we have taken, and walks even, we have only seen a handful of snakes. the beauty of nature, this beautiful gift from God is worth the walk 🙂 You can see that from these delightful images you captured on your walk. Crawling things aren’t my favorite creatures but they are so intricately detailed that they are beautiful too.

1. Loved reading your hiking story. So glad you didn’t step on that snake. That is so funny. I know they are out there but I also don’t see them a lot. I have a couple shots where there are little bees and insects crawling around petals in the flowers. Sometimes I will get really close into the flowers and not realize something is inside them crawling around. I have jumped back a few times when taking photos. When I am out there walking with my husband I will call our surroundings in nature God’s art gallery, what beauty there is out there to see. So glad you liked this hike. Summer will be here soon, which means not so many hiking adventures, not unless we get up super early before the sun comes out. My husband wants to drive to the sea, he said maybe a trip to Mexico or California. It has been so long since we have seen that beautiful ocean.

7. Amazing photos!! Wow 😃

1. Thank you, so happy you liked them.

those blooming flowers in contrast to the cacti are stunning!

the lizard is soo cute, I have sever arachnophobia and hate snakes! but most lizards are so cute. My brother has always had bearded dragons and we had a uromastyx lizard who are strictly vegetarians. we lost the little guy because he got out of his terrarium and when we found him he was so cold and passed shortly after. If they weren’t so expensive I’d have another in a heartbeat.

1. I think they are so cute too. We have so many different types out here. When ever I am watering my garden they love coming out to be near the water drops. We also have geckos which aren’t native to our area. My kids always find lizards eggs in our garden. Once they found native lizards to our area, think they are called zebra tailed and they were super cute when they hatched. We released them once they hatched right back out to our garden. Then one year they found gecko eggs and as soon as they hatched they also were super cute but we realized they were the invasive species that aren’t from here. They are so tiny when they hatch.

Gekos are a populr pet here..they are cute but much to delecate! At our summer home it was toads and frogs galore…loved witnessing it all

2. I LOVVVVVVVE frogs. Think that is why I had a Kermit the frog toy on my bed as a kid. My dad and I would out with flashlights searching for frogs to catch, that was fun. I had jars of tad poles that I would take to school for show and tale. They are so cute those little critters. I know weird, but they are kind of strange so that makes them cute to me.

We brought many frog home, our youngest had a terrarium set up for them, wed buy crickets to feed them lol. I love kermit! But cant say i lovd frogs…dont hate them..just more into other “creatures” my SIL is gaga for froms..always has been

9. I love when the desert is in bloom. Early moring hikes are great. Thank you for posting beautiful photos of the desert.

1. You’re welcome. I am glad you liked them. It is still nice here early in the morning but it is getting hot fast, as you know. Have a great weekend with your family. Your little girls are so adorable.

10. Camie says:

I’m catching up on some of your posts! These yellow desert flowers are stunning! Sometimes I miss living in Arizona because I did enjoy the desert blooms.

1. I know, they are so pretty and the colors are so bright. Sometimes I can’t believe a plain cactus produces such beauty. Just goes to show that you really can’t judge anything by it’s covers. Look at what these scary looking cactus produce.

11. Sartenada says:

How beautiful. I am glad that You showed them. When I was young, let’s say sixty years ago, I ordered to my home in Finland a magazine called “Arizona Highways”. This was before the Internet time, which meant that it opened me a window to a totally new world! I still have those magazines in my home. It was about three years ago, when I read them again. Thank You.

Have a wonderful day!

1. Thank you, I am so happy you liked them. I do love the flowers in the desert. Arizona Highways is a beautiful magazine. There are always great photos in that magazine. You and your wife a wonderful weekend out there exploring.