An Arizona road trip-checking up on Our Little Red House

It’s that time again. Time to hop in our truck and head up north to check up on Our Little Red House.

The day we decided to head up was such a beautiful day for a road trip. The weather was perfect and the traffic was not bad. A perfect day for a nice long drive to the high country.

When we got up there I couldn’t believe how green everything was. I had heard from friends up north how it got cold up there and the Winter storms were pretty harsh but to see all this green in person told me one thing…there was a lot of snow up there at one time.

The views driving up to the mountains here in our state are amazing.

Just the different rock formations and colors.

Off in the distance you can see the Mogollon Rim (moggy-yawn) known as Arizona’s backbone. It is home to black bears, mountain lions, elk, deer, and all kinds of other critters.

We decided to explore a couple creeks while we were up there this trip. Usually we spend the whole time up there repairing or working on Our Little Red House, but this time we thought it would be fun to just have some nature time to ourselves. We are always working. It is nice to take breaks now and then.

Up north there are waterfalls and huge swimming holes filled with ice cold water to jump into. You just have to find a local to the area to get to the good stuff. A good guide is worth a lot of gold. I was blessed to have a father who just happen to love exploring his home state.

During the summer months, when our kids were younger and after a long day of rebuilding our little red house, we would all head down to cool off under those big shady trees. Sometimes we would pack a picnic basket full of sandwiches and snacks. There are wild blackberry bushes up around the creeks and all kinds of colorful birds to watch. You could spend a whole day there and even spend the night in a hammock hanging over that cool creek between two giant trees.

Walking around exploring up north is breathtaking, such a different world from the deserts I grew up around and am used to. This photo below is my daughter walking by the creek.

After a couple hours of exploring the creeks we continued on to Our Little Red House. We did not get a chance to visit the lake across the turn off to our place. Hopefully next trip I will be able to share that with you all. There are also many lakes up there in the area we were exploring.

All you adventures and travelers out there know that when you are out exploring, time just flies by. I could have spent all day outside but we had to see how Our Little Red House survived a record breaking Winter season this year. We were a little worried what we were about to discover.

Every time we get to town, I always think of my favorite show when I was a little girl, which was Little House on the prairie. Oh my gosh, I loved that show. This old cowboy church down the street from us always greets us the moment we drive into town. It is almost like I can hear it saying “Welcome back” once it comes into view.It reminds me of Walnut Grove. I will have to share a post with you all on the inside of that old church. It has a lot of history in it.

We even have an old stone house down the street from Our Little Red House. I always think of Sweden when we pass by it and wonder what my Grandfather who was from Uppsala would think of this place, this small tiny town in the middle of nowhere.I have never been to Sweden. I bet it is so beautiful. It is a place I have always wanted to visit.

As soon as we drove up to our place we noticed our back yard was really clean. We had huge burn piles that we needed to take care of and they were gone and everything was so tidy. Then we saw horses in the corner.

Our neighbor who watches our place when we are gone explained what that was about. He needed the space to store some horses while he took care of them. He had spoken to my mother about it. Long story here that I already posted about so I will keep this short.

The horses were abandoned and starving and he took them in and cared for them. He is one of the good ones out there in the world doing their part, trying to make this planet of ours better.

His dogs are so cute. Some of these dogs were rescued as well. Look at this one, he is such a ham. I mean he was pouring the charm on big time with me.

‘Look at how he smiles. A dog that smiles always wins my heart.

The horses have company too, way in the back of our property there are other horses around that stop by for a visit. I will have to remember to bring apples, sugar cubes and carrots next time we head up.

When my husband turned on the water to our place, all of a sudden the back pipes that are somewhat exposed had water gushing out of it. I yelled back to my husband who was out back to shut the water off, we have a problem. This photo down below is an old photo of the area I am talking about right before we covered it up for the Winter.

DSC05546.JPG

We covered the pipes really well, even built a wooden box to go over it. Guess that wasn’t enough. We tried to enclose that back pipe as much as possible but when the pipes don’t have running water and they are just sitting there, they freeze up.

DSC00727.JPG

The Winter months were harsh this year so we were not surprised by this pipe being broken. Everything froze up there. This is not the first time we have had to fix this problem. It happens a lot up there with people who don’t live up there all year long.

So we did not end up spending the night because we had no water. It was easier to drive back to the city that night. We were exhausted from our busy day of exploring so I didn’t do Spring cleaning while we were there. Well I couldn’t anyway with no water, cleaning was impossible. I guess I could have dusted and vacuumed. It was pretty much the way we left it.

I was all prepared to do some Spring cleaning, oh well. I did mentally make a list of projects I will need to work on for our next trip. One of which is a curtain for the french door that leads into the only little room in the place. That french door was in the alley for trash day and we took it up north to add a door to that tiny bedroom. Instead of a bed we just bought a mattress and stacked it up on pallets. The old Wing-back chair was $5 down at the town’s second hand shop. Most of the pillows and curtains my daughter sewed up on her machine when she was younger and home schooled. We used pretty floral patterned bed sheets for curtains and pillows.Our goal was to keep the cost WAY down, No need to ever go into dept with everything that is available out in the world if you just get a little creative.

I noticed the outside of the house also took a Winter beating. Our next trip up will not only include cleaning supplies but some paint as well. Looks like we will be very busy.

And I will be sure to bring one of my gift baskets filled with cookies, fresh bread, eggs,dog treats, wild bird seed, and carrot sticks for the horses. All for our neighbors as a thank you gift. Hope the horses will still be there the next time we head up. Our neighbor said they are going to their forever home in a month.

Until the next visit up to see Our Little Red House, I hope you all have fun adventures yourself out there in the world. Happy exploring where ever you are. Stay safe out there you guys.

1. Michelle says:

I love your house! It was so nice of your neighbor to rescue the horses. 🙂

1. Thank you Michelle, I thought so too. Horses need a lot of food too. Poor things.

2. ekurie says:

That looks like a great get-away place. I am sorry about the pipe. Sounds like it’s not much of a problem though.

1. It is such a nice break now and then. We haven’t been up in a really long time. Hopefully that pipe will be an easy fix. We also have a roof to do as well. The house is pretty old, it’s from the 1940’s.

3. My favourite programme was Little House on the Prairie as well! I still watch it now if it’s on!

1. Me too. All the characters and the stories always had a lesson at the end. They don’t seem to make them like that anymore.

4. krc says:

lovely!
    the country views sure dont look like the city that i remember in that state years ago.
    love road trips!
    thanks for sharing these views and sights!
    📷🙆🌈

1. You’re welcome, so happy you liked them. The city and country are so different, it’s like a whole another planet up there in the woods.

5. Always wanted to “join” you on your trip up to the little red house…..thanks for taking me 🙂 ! What a breathtaking scenery !! Absolutely stunning landscape….and your house….it’s so “you” 🙂 !!!
    So glad the horses are going to be safe and will be able to have a good life from now on! Always gives hope to see that there are still people in the world who care 🙂
    Take care and all the best for you and your family

1. So happy to see you back on. I know you needed a break for awhile making all those beautiful products of yours. It is really pretty up north. I am glad there was someone there to get to the horses. It is so sad to think they were all alone and hungry. I will have to visit your site tomorrow. I love your photos and videos of the animals. Those beavers were so cute. I just got online for a little bit, taking a break because I spent the whole weak going through and cleaning up our photo files. We have over 60,000 photos to go through. I needed a break. Have a great week and hugs to you all. Stay safe, happy and healthy over there.

Hey little red. My brother and SIL are in arizona today and part if tommorow in their way to California. My SIL just texted me that they are going to tour some “ghost” towns before they head out and I remembered you did a post on one …could you share me the link when you have a min Thanks!

1. Whoops, had a comment all written up and forgot to post it. It has been a long weekend. We had a rotten sink to replace from a tiny leak. It was just rotten in one corner from getting wet, and the bottom too. I have to repaint the wall now in a tiny space and I am not looking forward to it. I have a bit of the claustrophobia. Anyway, so sorry it has taken so long to get back to you, just now getting online. How cool for your brother and sister in law. Okay here is the link https://ourlittleredhouseblog.wordpress.com/2017/10/28/an-arizona-ghost/ but there are so many places all over this part of our country that has ghost stories. Prescott, Az. is another one. Really cool place to visit too because they have old shops everywhere and there is a lake near by with Bald Eagles. Lynx lake I think it is called. Just hit the little tourist center in town and they will help design your own ghost tours of the area. I did that one year with our kids. Everything is in the center of town so you can walk to all the old buildings. Another place here in Arizona is called Jerome Arizona, it is famous for ghost sightings. In California, in Old Town San Diego they have a haunted cemetery and Victorian house that is now a ghost museum. They even made a movie about that one. The cemetery is really creepy, wouldn’t go there after dark. Old Town is beautiful and has a village to explore with black smith shops, old fashioned candy stores and items from Mexico. Hope this helps, just hit a tourist center and they usually have someone there that can answer your questions for free.

Thank you! They didnt have time to do the town they are on their way to la now. Drove through flagstaff quickly and did a hike..she sent me the pics wow beautiful but steep! Ive sent her the link and saved it in case thet dont have net connection until they get back

2. Flagstaff is gorgeous. Do you know that reality show Sister Wives, think their last name is Browns or Cody. Now I can’t remember, I don’t have cable anymore so I don’t watch that series if it is even still on TV. Anyway, they all moved there because it is such a beautiful town. It’s a college town. They had snow a couple weeks ago, really rare but it happens. I love it up there. Here is another link to a little town just outside of Flagstaff, just 20 minutes away https://ourlittleredhouseblog.wordpress.com/2017/11/16/a-day-with-deer-from-the-past-to-present/ just in case they drive back up. Most people go to Flagstaff on their way to the Grand Canyon. That is another place to see because it is so breathtaking to see in person.

They want to go back when they have time. They are going to E3 the video game event in san fran. And yes lol we both watch sister wives and thats why they knew of the town and she wantrd to see it. Weve both watched since the beginning. Id love to come and even meet you. I have severr ptsd from my car accident tho and flying forgwt that! Lol

4. That is sad, but I understand PTSD I think I have a little from my mom. My dad never flew in a plane his whole life, he never trusted them. My son loves video games. I am so old fashioned I love game boards, card games and old games like Pac Man, Frogger, Q-bert, Donkey Kong, Dig Dug. It has been so long I think I have forgotten some of the names. I used to play this one game called Popeye where he eats hearts or something like that and Brunus comes out to mess things up. They were all silly games but a lot of fun. Oh and my kids loved Sims. I was a kid during the 80’s when those video games came out and were very popular, now everything looks so real, it’s a little creepy.

Im the same! I ove my atari the rest of them get the newest consoles and I cant play with them..too many buttons..hurts my head lol. I am a sims girl…i use the money cheat and just decorate my house! I have been in a plane a few timea as a kid..last time id say 11 or 12. Now i like ur dad..dont trust them. We also love card and board games. My brother and sister in law too but my brother is a huge gamer. He and my son (mostly my brother as my son programs as a career and has no time now ir desire lol) have been working in a video game. It works our youngest gor to test it laat year. Dunno if itll ever make him money or be “released” but its his project and he is enjoying working on it. I did web design once thinking i love to create so ill love it…nope too much sitting and staring at a screen for me lol

6. Yeah, I understand that. My husband used to edit for commercials, docs, videos, and even a couple independent movies. He was never home and when he was he was always in his office editing. I missed him when he was in Los Angeles. He would fly back on some trips since we are so close being in Arizona, California is a short plane trip away. The kids were tiny then and my husband missed out on a lot of those early years. My husband got burned out and Hollywood does not take kindly to most people who wear crosses, which my husband does. He is glad to be away from that, he has a lot of stories and he had a lot of stress working in that environment. But we don’t talk about that. We just enjoy our lives now.

🙂 we sometimes live and learn

now that I had a chance to read and get caught up I must say what a gorgeous place! My SIL has been sending me pics from Arizona, they both are in love, they drove cross country from here in Ontario to get to LA and AZ is all shes talked about so far and sent pics, she says to me this am its 33 here and its not even 11 am! I laughed and said we got lucky and it was 25 on sunday, she is burnt lol I am tanned. I loved little house as a little girl! as a Canadian I also loved a show called the beach combers and Hubz makes fun of me for both lol. we both agree on our love for the littlest hobo ( he was a dog)
    I love the photo of your daughter she looks like she is one with nature, in her zen

1. MY daughter was so happy that day just skipping away. That hat she was wearing she wore when she was a little girl. She put it in a pile to donate and I grabbed it and hung it in my closet. I took it with us on this road trip because I heard there was going to be rain. When we parked to get out to explore I tossed her the hat and she laughed “You still have this old thing” even the sweater she was wearing used to belong to me,. That old sweater has moth holes in it. We are both sentimental I guess. I will have to share some past and at least one photo of my son in a future post. I have so many photos of them growing up and playing around those creeks.

I once had a cotton sweater that had holes and stains and everyone was embarrassed to be seen with me when I had it on, but it was soo comfy, and I’m sure it had some sentimental value that I don’t remember about now. I loved the creek by our park, but unfrotunetly I fell in once when I was maybe 10 and shortly after or before ( my memory is fuzzy) I almost drowned in a pool during lessons.
        in the creek it was rushing so hard it carried me quite a distance I only remember my moms screams and her brother eventually grasping my shirt and pulling me out.
        the pool was much more tramatic, I didn’t know how to swim and decided id jump in anyway of the diving board. being a class clown my classmates thought my gasps and bobbing in and out was a joke, when I finally went under a boy ( who tragically died in a car accident a few years ago here) who was much smaller then me jumped in, followed by my other classmate, she and he put their lives in danger because I took them down with me. we were all pulled from the pool by the life guards and I only remember partly waking up in the back of the guards car as the ambulance would be too long, then waking up in the hospital.

I still love water, we have a hot tub I live in, but any body of water I go in must be calm and my feet must touch bottom lol

2. I remember a couple times getting pulled in and under a strong current but I had strong arms pull me out and into safety. One was my father in California when a wave crashed into me and sucked me under. That one my father saved me from. He made me get out there and learn the waves again and said not to panic because the wave will push you back, which it did. I loved it. The other time was at a water park and it was a stranger (a dad watching his own kids) that grabbed me when a fake water wave pulled me way out to the deep end. I swallowed a lot of water. Sometimes when I am out swimming at night in our pool I always tell my husband if I go out and swim just in case. Our pool was built in the 70’s and it is huge, too big and way too deep. It’s a diving pool that is 13 ft deep. Some family members complain about how it’s too deep. It is deep everywhere except in one little area by the steps then it drop off fast. I saved my nephew once when he was drowning in it and it happened so fast. Before we bought it another little girl almost drowned in it. It’s a scary pool. My husband wants to turn it into a back apartment or tiny home. I call it a lake.