Banana Bread

I am at a loss for words. That is not a very catchy title…just Banana bread. This week is the first week that the heat has officially hit us here in Phoenix Arizona and I am feeling the blahs. Or I am feeling the summer time blues. I don’t know what to call it, wow I really am at a loss for words. I do know one thing…we are all getting ready for our sun in time. You know, instead of snowed in, sunned in.

I have a post coming up about summer coming but in all actuality summer is here. This is a quick post, just one of our recipes we use to make our banana bread. I am not even sure where it came from because we have been using it for awhile now.

Everyone has this recipe in my family. My grandma made banana bread way before I was born and her grandma made it before she was born too, that is if bananas were easy to acquire. Think you all get my point. I love to share a link to a banana bread recipe but I just don’t have one this time. I will try to do a YouTube baking post next month. Those are always fun to do, mistakes and all. Hope you all enjoy this recipe. Here it is:

Banana bread

2 cups all purpose flour

1 teaspoon baking soda

1/4 teaspoon salt

1/2 cup butter

3/4 cup brown sugar

2 eggs

21/3 cup mashed bananas

1 cup of walnuts

Preheat oven to 350F degrees.

In large bowl combine flour, baking soda and salt. In separate bowl mix butter and brown sugar. Stir in eggs and mashed bananas until blended. Add to flour mixture, stir then pour into 9×10 greased pan.Whoops…add the walnuts into wet mixture then stir. We use nuts in a lot of our baked goods, they are so good for you.

Bake in preheated oven for about an hour depending on your oven. Some ovens run hotter then others. Use a toothpick to test and if it comes out clean…it’s done. Don’t ya just love those toothpick tricks.

Now I know you are going to want to eat this as soon as it comes out, the smell alone is heaven, but please don’t. Your mouth will water away waiting impatiently for a bite. Remember to let your bread cool down for awhile before you start eating it…your mouth will thank you later.

For some extra yummy, we always add a topping to our muffins and sweet breads. If you want some added flavor add a Streusel topping.

3 tablespoons all purpose flour

3 tablespoons sugar

1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon

1 tablespoon of butter, cut into pieces.

Add the topping after you have filled your pan with the banana bread and bake together. Just mix the butter and dry ingredients together with a fork until you get a dry crumbling to sprinkle to the top of your bread before you bake.

Happy baking everyone.

1. Jane Fritz says:

Sunned in! I like that. Coming from serious snowed-in territory, I know what you mean; beautiful to look out at but stay in and keep the heat/AC cranked.

1. I feel for you too. Being cooped up for months is nice when you start out but by the end of it all you just want it to be over with. I love when the Fall gets here and we can open the doors to let fresh air in. Also being outside is one of my favorite things to do. In the really bad months the temps here don’t even cool off at night, it stays hot 24 hours. ‘That’s when things get really dangerous.

2. ekurie says:

I am going to try this. My mom had a great recipe that baked in a loaf pan. I never could make her recipe. My loaf would always burn on the top, raw in the middle.

1. That happens to me sometimes. I just keep baking until that toothpick comes out clean. I also lower the rack so the bread isn’t that close to the heat when baking. Somewhere in the middle is perfect.

3. Yummy!!!! You know how you wait for the over ripe, soft bananas? Tio for banana bread anytime plus super amped flavor, put bananas in a 350° oven for about 10 min. They be black as coal when you take them out but super smushy soft and dripping with sweet syrupy goodness that will blast banana flavor into your bread, muffins, and cakes. Mmmmm…..good

1. I didn’t know that. I am going to try that, thanks for the tip. This baking stuff is really fun. I always just did crafts. It is getting hit though so I have to get up really early to bake now so I don’t heat up the house too much. We don’t really bake that much in the summer months.

1. Whoops, typo (I am famous for those) I meant hot not hit. I am a bit tired been painting a lot this week. Bathroom issues that we need to rebuild and fix.

4. Looking at these gorgeous pictures, I can almost smell and taste your banana bread. Delicious.

Sunned in. I like that. Today in eastern New Mexico we are winded in. 😁

1. Funny. I love the different seasons but the heat is rough out here isn’t it? Hope you spend a fun time being winded in making and eating banana bread. It is delicious.

5. Chandra Lynn says:

I’m doing a no-sugar summer, but now, you have me wanting to bake banana bread!

1. You are strong to go without sugar, that stuff is so additive. Honey is a form of sugar too but maybe not as bad, maybe you can replace the white sugar with honey. I need to try this no sugar too, it really isn’t good for us.

1. Chandra Lynn says:

I did it before but only for 30 days. My plan is to do it for the entire summer. Honey’s off the list too. For a sugar craving, I eat a piece of fruit or a tiny box of raisins. It’s not as hard as you’d think. Just make up your mind to do it and you can.

2. I am going to have to try that. I did read somewhere that sugar is so bad and so additive. Someone told me they put sugar in things you wouldn’t think would have sugar in it like french fries. They will add sugar to it so people want more I guess. So many tricks to get us all to eat bad things. It is hard for our kids too. They are exposed to so many ads and who doesn’t love junk food. We tried to cut back when they were little and only had soda for special events like birthday parties, holidays and family get togethers. My daughter doesn’t drink soda now as an adult, she says it makes her stomach hurt. My son will have Dr,Pepper maybe once a month if that. Oh, and then there is salt, which is also deadly. You’re plan is smart, just sticking to fruit and raisins…that is a good plan.

3. Chandra Lynn says:

Sugar is addictive. I watched a film once on how the stomach responds to sugar. And yes, it’s crazy that sugar is added to things that don’t need sugar. Good plan to not allow your kids to drink soda regularly. Healthy habits start at home.

4. I am so glad I started when they were little. It is so hard to bring habits that we have had for a long time.

6. Camie says:

I do not miss your hot summers. Stay cool inside. I haven’t made banana bread in a while. So yummy!

1. I am not looking forward to the next three months. But every year we get through it. Have you ever noticed how beat up we all look here in Phoenix by September. Everyone looks a little rough around the edges and people get mean. The road rages go up, domestic disputes and child abuse goes up too. It is not the place to be in the summer that’s for sure. I just don’t watch the news. Then those giant dust storms come in every evening and the next day our yard and pool are a muddy mess. The temps don’t go down those last two months so it doesn’t matter if you get up with the roosters at 5am because it’s still 100 degrees or more outside 24/7.

7. 3C Style says:

Good luck with the heat. I must say your banana bread looks pretty HOT to me. I have been making banana bread for a while too. I used to bake them with my grandma and I still used her recipe. I will try yours though as it looks so delicious. Cheers!

1. I bet your Grandma’s is just as yummy and you have the added memories of spending that time together for extra sweetness. You and your family have a great weekend.

1. 3C Style says:

Yes, my Grandma’s banana bread recipe is delicious and every time I bake it I think of her. She was a kind, strong and inspiring woman, and very much into sharing. I’m sure if WordPress had been available in her time she would have been blogging.