DIY-Decorating sugar cookies

Repost- This was one of my favorite posts to write and it happens to hold the spot of number 3 most popular post of mine. I always love any excuse to bake cookies for the people I love. I also love being creative. The two didn’t mix very well in this post because my cookies did not come out the way I had hoped. But man did I have fun making this batch. Lots of giggles with this one. Hope you all enjoy.

———————————————————————————————————————————

So I got back on YouTube. You all know what that means, it’s time for some YouTube university lessons.

This one is from Martha Stewart , I am not getting anything for promoting her, just happen to be this is what popped up one day under my recommendations. Gotta love those recommendations.

Okay, I can make the sugar cookies.I am not good at decorating them though.

Then, one day, while I clicked onto YouTube, up pops a clip on decorating sugar cookies. Sometimes I will turn to my husband and say “Hey, you think there is a camera somewhere in our house recording us or listening in on us?” of course I am kidding(a little) but it is weird that when we are searching things on one computer or talking about different subjects in our kitchen…up pops something on Youtube about that very same subject we were talking about the day before. Anyway this is what popped up on YouTube one morning, so I had to check it out. Martha knows her stuff, I will give her that. What a beautiful world Martha lives in. Everything is always clean, pretty and well organized.

You should see the messes I make when I am creating. My family calls it a “Product bomb”. Looks like a bomb did go off when I am cooking, painting, crafting etc…because I can’t be bothered with neatness when I am in a moment. Martha has a whole crew to make everything nice and tidy. Sadly, I don’t and my kids are too old to be interested now to be my pretend crew, but they sure like eating those cookies fresh out of the oven.

I tried making some Martha Stewart cookies. Lets just say, it didn’t work out the same way. Please watch her video for detailed instructions because mine did not come out like a Martha cookie. I am not a cookie artist.

First things first…make sugar cookies. Here is my recipe that I have been using for a very long time and mean LONG time..

1/3 cup of shortening

1/3 cup of margarine or butter

2 cups all purpose flour

3/4 cup sugar

1 egg

1 tablespoon milk

1 teaspoon of vanilla

I always sift any flour I use in my cookies.

And I mix all dry ingredients first.

Then mix in wet ingredients.

After my cookie dough is made I wrap it up and store in the refrigerator over night. If you are in a bit of a hurry, then store for a couple of hours.

Once cool, start rolling out your dough.

Then cut out your shapes.

Bake cookies in a 375F oven for about 8 minutes or until the edges are a little golden. I usually leave mine in for 8 minutes but I only bake at 365 degrees. My oven tends to run a little hot. Once done, cool on a rack. You do not want really hot cookies when you decorate them, otherwise your frosting will drip off.

I tried following all the steps, but remember, this is minus a whole crew to help me set up, those special fancy tools of hers and just the fact that she is Martha Stewart and I am not. These are my special decorating tools that I picked up one day at the dollar store for a project just like this. Pretty fancy for a dollar huh?

First thing I did wrong was the frosting was a little too drippy. Watch the video, you will know what I am talking about.

I was getting frustrated and in walks my daughter “Whatcha doing mom?” guess she smelled warm sugar cooking away in the oven. When she saw the bomb that went off in our kitchen she reached for her phone. Remember, I don’t have a cell phone. Little monsters is what I call them. My daughter started laughing “This is so funny mom, love it when you bake” and she started to record.

“Oh, no you don’t” I warned her. She reminded me that the last time I attempted making Gingerbread men and she posted it online, everyone loved it. I told her, I am not entertainment for the world, I like to remain private. My gingerbread attempt was a bit of a nightmare. It was online for awhile, with me laughing and just enjoying the mess I made. My daughter and I had a huge giggle fit because those poor gingerbread men, although they tasted YUMMY, they looked horrible.

Here we go again. My attempt at fancy sugar cookies. Here are the ingredients for the icing.

Icing-

Confectioner Powdered sugar

Condensed milk ( a tiny bit at a time added to the sugar) about a teaspoon at a time, depending on how much frosting you need.

A 1/2 teaspoon of vanilla

You can add food coloring to create different colors with.

I was a tad bit disappointed in my Martha cookies. Although I have to say, the funnest part to me was mixing colors.

I also thought putting real flowers on it would look pretty. Looked up edible flowers online and all I could come up with was daisies that I had in my garden.

I have Gardenia, Jasmine, African daisies, Petunias, Pansies, and mini roses (not yet in bloom) okay that was it. There are no poisons used in my garden, so my flowers are all organic.

Daisies are edible, so I clipped some to add a little pretty to my cookies. Please do your research, some people have allergies and even safe flowers cause reactions. So don’t go eating up your flower gardens. I just like making things a little pretty. My kids love my cookies, and if they see something artsy on one, they just pick it off and eat what they like. Been doing that since they were old enough to use those fingers of theirs.

The flowers did not work. Again, this is the creative mind at work and sometimes things just don’t work out the way we hope. My daisies were not flat enough and the frosting was still too thin. Plus our temps here at the moment are getting warm.

Here it is, my nailed it, creative moment. I did this around Easter, then tried again a couple weeks after Easter using one of my flower shaped cookie cutters.

I had some food coloring pens and used them to draw some of my little flowers I have been doodling since I was 7. I tend to use flowers in everything I design.

I used mostly my left hand to decorate because I had another injury. You all know how it is when you are an up-cycler, gardener, crafter, or glue gunslinger…accidents happen. I am right handed. Left handed creating on a right handed creator is always laughable.

Lesson from this weeks recommended YouTube tutorial …we all have gifts, but we can’t have all the gifts. I will stick with what I can do, but never be afraid to try new things. My family loves those simple little cookies I have been making for years with their colorful candy sprinkles all over them. Stick with what makes you all happy. I can’t believe I forgot to mention sprinkles. We love sprinkles in this house. If you do try decorating cookies like the pros do, don’t forget to have some sprinkles on hand. Just in case all else fails

Happy baking everyone.

1. Michelle says:

This was such a fun post to read! We make and decorate sugar cookies every Christmas. In my head my cookies are going to look fabulous, but they come out looking nothing like I imagined! I’m much better at decorating cakes for some reason. 😀

1. It is fun though, even if they don’t come out looking like the cover of a magazine and they always taste great in the end. Home made is always the best because it comes from a place of love.

2. They look fabulous! You did a great job!

1. You are very welcome.

3. They look good enough to eat! In fact they look TOO good to eat!

1. Awww…thank you. They are yummy.

4. ekurie says:

I love these! I am suspicious of ‘Martha Stewart perfect ‘. Something important is losing out for the sake of perfection.

1. Thank you and so true about Martha, nothing is ever perfect and how boring the world would be if that were the case.

5. krc says:

fantastic!
    i need to get cookie cutout thingy!
    very pretty flowers too!

1. Thanks, you will have so much fun making these.

6. gillyflower says:

Whether or not the real flowers worked, they’re very pretty – and I love the Easter designs!

1. Awww…thanks, so sweet.

7. I think you did great! At least y’all get icing hahaha that’s past my skill set. I bake them but icing is going to be missing 😉 Thanks for this laugh, “the kids are too old to be my pretend crew” hehehehe Yet they will come in and be the “film, and post it online crew hahaha 🙂 I don’t care what these cookies end up looking like they are delicious. I made your sugar cookie recipe, oh my goodness, back in December? I don’t know. It might have been November. It was your post about the sugar cookies, and the other cookies that you could add anything to, I added white chocolate chips, and macadamia nuts to mine. Because that’s what hubby wanted hahaha. I made the sugar cookies first one afternoon for fun, and well, cookies 🙂 They were divine. Everyone in the house thought so. Even the ones in the house that sugar cookies aren’t their favorite ate these like they would have eaten their favorites. 🙂

1. Awww…thanks Margaret. Love that you made some of those cookies I posted about. They don’t last long that’s for sure. I think I have just as much fun making them as eating them. It also makes me happy when I see my friends and family enjoying my cookie treats.

1. Yes, when they are gone before the sun goes down, OR everyone is trying to be gracious. Are you going to eat the last ones, or can I? then you know they are good. The recipe you shared was that kind of recipe 🙂 So, yeah shape them like rocks and make the icing grey, they will still be delicious and gone before you can get one last one for yourself hahaha 🙂

8. I have never been more entertained reading about someone else decorating cookies! Haha! You definitely have more patience than I do. I rarely bake because our oven is broke but even when it worked I was awful at baking! This post made me want to try again when we get our oven fixed.

1. Awww…thanks Lisa. I hope you get that oven fixed. Our Stove/Oven was broken for awhile one year. Finally we replaced it but until we did we used one of those little toaster ovens. I picked it up at Big Lots. It reminded me of my Easy Bake oven as a kid. I liked it because we could move it outside to cook instead of heating up our house during the summer months. It is now up north at Our Little Red House sitting in that kitchen. If you do get a chance to make these cookies, be warned…they never last long, everyone will eat them up. Oh, and they make your home smell wonderful.

1. I may borrow my parents oven for the cookies but the toaster oven is a great idea. We didn’t spring for a new oven yet in case we move soon (which we need to for my husband’s new job.)

2. Moving is so stressful, you are wise to put off buying anything major like appliances. Can’t believe how expensive they have gotten. I could use a new washing machine, oh and dryer too. I picked my toaster oven up new for my husband’s birthday one year, he loves to cook. It is small but you can cook about 6 cookies at a time in it. We also cooked a lot of casseroles up north when we were rebuilding Our Little Red House. I always see kitchen appliances at Goodwill stores here too and a lot of them are brand new. I think people get them as gifts and donate them. We bought a bread machine on dollar day one year and we already had one so my husband took it to our neighbors up north and gave it to them. He taught them how to make their own bread. Here in Arizona we have tons of thrift stores.

9. Amna Blake says:

Cute decoration ideas! Hope the cookies were as yummy as they looked

1. Thank you and they were very yummy.

Here is my recipe that I have been using for a very long time and mean LONG time.. hahaha im going to have to remember this quote so I don’t have to age myself by saying this recipe I’ve used for 20 years lol

I too stink at decorating, I love cooking but not so much baking ( I have next to no sweet tooth) I have mine and the families faves and I make them on special occasions

ill stick to making my short bread shapes and letting the kids and nieces decorate em, they will do a 100% better job then I ever will lol.

1. That is so funny and true. I have many years and lots of experience.

11. Camie says:

Such pretty sugar cookies! You have talent!

1. Awww…thank you, you’re so sweet. They didn’t turn out like Martha’s but I still had fun making them.

12. Your cookies turned out incredible. We might just have to give your sugar cookie recipe a try. We’re always on the hunt for the best recipes and haven’t quite found a sugar cookie recipe that we’re sold on. Thanks for sharing and happy baking to you too.

1. That is such a sweet thing to say, thank you. I do hope you all get to make some, they taste great and you all will have fun decorating them too.

Super cute n yummy looking cookies! 😍