One huge yarn haul = A whole lot of DIY’s

Repost- Time to switch it up a bit. Now instead of my most viewed and popular post I thought it would be fun to add my top favorite post I really enjoyed putting together. Starting with the number one funnest for me and that is this one, my huge yarn haul. Oh my gosh, this was such a fun post. Most of these little critters were done during rainy days inside. This post reminds me that I should get out that yarn and make some more critters. I would love to make a bunny, cat, sheep and maybe some monkeys. Not sure how I would go about that but that’s the fun part about creating, there are never rules and every piece of art is pretty in it’s own way.

——————————————————————————————————————————–

I am so bad and I was doing so good. Here I was watching all these YouTube tutorials and trying to make my life more like a minimalist, but hey, it isn’t easy. I am still trying to figure out what is or isn’t important. I have been trying to organize my home and life, then along comes a bargain deal I just can not pass up on. This huge pile of yarn is that bargain I am writing about in this post.

And before I go on…YES!, this gave me lots of joy when I found it and picked it up. Thank you Marie Kondo for teaching me about that. As you can all tell, I have been watching her shows. Look at all this yarn I got. It’s wool and mohair yarn too. Usually these are pretty pricey but these bags were half off their bargain prices. In each bag there were several rolls of yarn. The bags ranged in prices of $1.50- $2. You can’t find one roll of mohair or wool yarn for that price and these bags had at least 4 or more rolls in each bag.

So here is the thing with being a minimalist, so far, from what I have learned from YouTube university, it’s about keeping the things that are important and being very organized with that. Just don’t over do anything. Life becomes easier because everything has a place and purpose.

Well, my yarns always have a purpose in my home.Plus I keep them very tidy and organized.

With a combination of pom poms and needle felting, these are all the items I was able to make. I had so much fun with this project.

I made this little gnome. The cap and body are pom poms that I shaped by needle felting. I needle felted the little arms and wrapped yarn around the tops to look like little sleeves. He needed to be holding something so I added a felted heart.

The whole process was pretty simple to me, but then this is my thing so if you are a beginner please don’t be discouraged when you see this. Keep going for it, what ever you are creating. You will eventually get the results you want…just be patient. If I can teach myself to make these things then anyone can.

Here are some photos of the gnome process. It starts with pom poms, then cutting those pom poms into shapes and then needled felting the shapes for more detail.

DSC_1328.JPGDSC_1332.JPG

This little gnome reminds me of grandpas. Like that old movie with Shirley Temple, the story about Heidi. I always enjoyed watching or reading that story when I was a little girl. Such a sweet story about a little girl and her grandpa in a beautiful village with snow and green mountains.

The soft pink rose colored yarn became this adorable teddy bear. Teddy bears are one of my favorites things to make. This little gal fit perfectly in the palm of my hand.

Next was a blue bird.

Some adorable little hedgehogs.

And this colorful little lama.

But I didn’t stop there with this huge yarn haul of mine. Later that night I made some of my tiny baskets.

There you have it, a whole lot of Diy’s from my piles of yarn. I think these little yarn critters will be so adorable to add to Easter baskets for gifts.

The whole process of designing, felting and creating kept me sane during our Winter storms we got. It rained like crazy here and snowed like crazy in that mountain town up north where Our Little Red House is located. They had to issue a state of emergency because of all the snow they got up there. Roads and stores were closed, and there were many people that were stuck up there until the roads reopened again. I hope everything was bundled up and Our Little Red House will be okay when we check on it in the Spring. So if any of you are stuck inside for awhile, pull those bags of yarn out and start designing away.

And I hope you all get a chance to find bags of treasures yourself that bring you tons of Joy. Happy creating everyone.

Special note: When my kids were little I would make toys and games for them to help with speech therapy and fine motor skills. If you know your child’s obsessions then it is fun designing lessons around those things that get their attention. Your kid’s favorite stories can be brought to life using toys that you design around the characters. It helps if you can sketch and draw. It did for me years ago. I guess now days you can use apps and computers for just about any design. I had to do things the old school way. I guess my point is, is that you can make your own games and toys to help teach your children. Pom pom animals and people are pretty easy and the kids can help you make the pom poms. Just sit down with them, teach them, love them and give them tons of memories to hold in their hearts forever. Those are the best ways to help teach our next generation to truly have empathy, problem solving skills, working as a team and just have good morals. Children who have a good family support system make future happy adults.

Super cute!!! My fave is the teddy bear, so sweet looking 🙂

1. Thank you. Teddy bears are always my favorite things to make. They are not as popular as they used to be.

2. Camie says:

I have been watching Marie Kondo, too. Your yarn creations are adorable! I love the gnome!

1. Thank you. It is so easy keeping the house clean when everything has a place. We have donated a bunch of things. I still have a couple of rooms to do but now that the weather has warmed up I need to work on our garden, its a bit of a mess. The chickens need their chicken coop fixed up some as well.

3. So adorable all of them what kind of needle is that your using wig the wood handle I was curious. Is that the kind you use in those hook rugs you can buy and do? Such detailed work looks great!

1. Thank you. It is a special needle you use for needle felting. You can purchase them from Wish (a website like amazon) I am using a needle from Wish that came in a kit with a variety of wool. I was at Hobby Lobby the other day and saw that they had needle felting supplies and there were packages of wool for around $2 which isn’t bad. Michael’s has some supplies as well but they can be pricey so get a coupon on line for 40% if you decide to try needle felting. I also get lucky sometimes and find grab bags at Goodwill will wool for needle felting. YouTube it and see what it is about first. My husband and kids bought me a little kit for Christmas a couple years ago and I have been practicing every now and then since then. Careful with those needles though, they are sharp. It is like sculpting but with a needle.

4. I’ve watched the Kon Marie and some things I’m not willing to part with like my reference of books on my book shelves. If it Sparks joy keep it! Right, right!

1. Yes, so true. The things that make us happy we should always have in our homes, it is what makes them a home and inviting to our families and friends.

5. It made you happy so you should have it in your home 💗 You are so talented! I love mohair yarn, it is definitely an amazing deal 🌼🌱

6. Score!!!! You are so talented!

7. Absolutely adorable!

8. Wow! What luck! All of your little creations are so cute! I love the gnome and the llama!

1. Thank you. I can’t believe all the llamas out there in stores now, they are all so adorable. I just had to try making one myself.

1. Well you nailed it!! 😊

9. Omg!!!! You just went for it and that pile of yarn is going to be used up before you know it. Every piece is so beautiful! We are definitely from the same gene pool. When I get new craft supplies I can’t wait to make stuff.

1. Thank you, that says a lot coming from you…you have such talent, I love your posts. I have a whole new pile of second hand projects I am working on today. I have so much fun.

yarn is my weakness when thrifting, that and fabric. I keep looking at the felting kits on Wish and one of these days I may just have the guts to order it and give it a try. Your little creations are amazing as usual, love them! the hedge hogs and gnome are my favorite. I want to do a gnome display on my little shelf, its my “next project” to start collecting things for.

1. Gnomes are so cute. I usually make them out of branches but I also use yarn and fabric too. Hope you and your little boy are feeling better. Also. not sure if you have a Michael’s store near you but they have felt kits at that store and if you print up a 40% off coupon that’s a big discount. My husband and kids bought me my first kit from Michael’s. Then my oldest started telling me about Wish and all the stuff you can order from there too. My favorite is thrifting for my craft supplies. I am so addictive to second hand junk shops. I bet your gnome display will be so adorable, can’t wait to see it.

Our micheals sells the wool but no tools lol..figure that one out. Def love wish too..only second to dollar stores and thrift stores

2. I got a ton of needle felting tools from Wish and they are my favorite tools so far that I have worked with. Michaels has them as well but they broke and they were so expensive. I think I was way too rough when I was first learning the skill so I can’t blame Michaels tools for that. I got the cheaper priced tools from wish a year later.

11. 3C Style says:

Oh my, these are so cute. I love them all but do have a crush for the gnome and the little hedgehogs. You are so creative. I always love seeing your DIY posts. So inspiring.

1. Thank you. I want a little hedgehog but I think Alley cat would just cry all day long with jealousy. The gnome was fun to make, it is like he his own personality under that crazy little cap of his.

1. 3C Style says:

They are all so beautiful, tiny and full of personality. Looking at them bring a smile to my face.

12. daisydust02 says:

I will definitely try to make that teddy.

1. Pom pom teddies are so cute and cuddly.

the llamas are absolutely adorable! 🙂

14. John says:

I remember my childhood when I was doing this. It was such fun!😊

15. What an adorable collection. My fave is the llama. xD How long does something like that take to make?

1. Thank you Tilly, the pom poms are really fast then I glue a bunch together for the body, this is the llama I am talking about. The llama actually didn’t take too long because it was mostly made of yarn pom poms and a little needle felting. Needle felting can take time depending on the detail of the project, plus you really need to watch those fingers. I am a beginner when it comes to felting. Now pom poms on the other hand, I have been making those since I was 7 years old so those I get, but this needle felting business is a little bit of a challenge for me. I am trying to stick with at least one project a month so I hopefully will get better with needle felting. How are your drawings coming?, I bet you are having fun with that. Anything we use our hands with is always a good thing. Creating releases a ton of stress. Have a great day.