DIY- Melted crayon art

” Creativity is intelligence having fun.”

Albert Einstein

Time for some family fun. It’s still camping season in our part of the world and this little craft project is perfect for that. The weather is amazing out here in Arizona right now, up north that is. Still a bit warm to some here in the desert areas, but the nights are cooling down.This craft project includes supplies from outside. You all know what that means…exploring nature and creating art with it. I also believe it is a craft any age group would enjoy, even great grandmas out there. Except babies and tiny ones, they always want to eat everything at that age. If you aren’t out camping you can use a little toaster oven to heat up your rocks, just make sure to use tongs when removing them from the oven to your work area. Also you’re gonna need a whole lot of crayons for this one.

Supplies needed-

River rocks, any size

Old crayons (you can pick up bags of them at second hand shops all over this planet)

Pencil sharpener

Metal tongs

Foil

Paper cups

Step one- peal paper off of crayons. If you can’t find a bag of used crayons just buy a box of new ones. I usually load up on boxes of crayons during the back to school sales.

Step 2- sharpen your crayons until you can no longer sharpen them. Until you get down to the tips. Put your shavings into little paper cups. Yep, that is my big toe that photo bombed this shot, you’re not seeing things. Guess I could have cropped it out but I thought it was kind of funny that my toe got in the shot somehow.

DSC06438.JPG

Step 3- Clean your river rocks, then sit them around your campfire to warm up. Don’t put them into the fire, just the edge so they can get hot.

You will need the tongs to pick them up after they have heated up.

DSC06455.JPG

Drop crayon shavings onto rocks and watch the colors melt together, then use your tongs to remove and let cool on foil. They look like strange dinosaur eggs when you do it this way, at least to me they do.

Step 4- Or you can remove the heated rocks and use crayons to draw designs onto them.

Make sure to not touch the rocks, the only thing that should be touching the rocks are the foil it is sitting on and the crayon tips while you draw. I know I already brought that up and I will be bringing it up again…these rocks get hot.

Step 5- Personally I liked drawing designs on the hot rocks because I have more control over the art. They look like little Monets when everything is melted together.

The colors all blended together turn out really pretty.

I tend to stick with flower patterns all the time but then that’s my obsession. I do love them flowers out there in the world.

Then there is always a rainbow of colors, that is also fun to do.

Remember…use those tongs to move your heated rocks. Have fun everyone, this was a really cool craft project I did with one of my classes years ago. The kids in the arts and craft class ranged in ages of 6 and up. I made sure to keep reminding them to not touch their rocks with their fingers until they were completely cool. I used an old toaster oven I picked up for $1 at the junk store. Yeah, I know…love my used stuff. Happy crafting everyone.

DSC06466.JPG

Special note- Very important that this craft is done with an adult around to make sure children do not play with hot melted wax. You do not want any unnecessary burns. It’s a great craft for fine motor skills and also color lessons and grouping colors together. Teach the kids about primary and secondary colors by mixing colors together. A fun way to practice writing letters from the alphabet as well. You can do the whole alphabet depending on how many rocks you collect. After you are finished with the rocks, take the crayon bits and fill a cupcake pan with different colors to make new crayons.

I used cupcake liners in the pans. Then I poked a hole using a straw once they cooled down a bit. Tie your crayons to a roll of coloring pages and pass out to kids as party favors or pack away for days you want to surprise them with something to keep them busy.

I am a big believer in keeping young children off of those little screens as much as possible. This is probably the most important thing ever…children should have opportunities to interact with other humans and staring at little screens all day is really going to make things bad out there in the world for future generations. Oh and babies and toddlers should never be on them. Think about how much it hurts their little eyes that are still developing, always staring at that screen, holding onto the sides and just being mesmerized by all that gorgeous animation. It’s hard to keep up with that once that gets started. Those little devices become very addictive. So please limit the time your child spends on those devices, if you start early they won’t become addicted to them and instead they will love spending time with real people like mom and dad and grandmas and grandpas.

Photo info- These photos were taken years ago with our old camera that we no longer have (finally died…so sad) anyway I had to go back into our archives of thousands of photos to write up this little post. Just haven’t had a lot of time to work any new DIY’s for you all. I am still trying to get things going with websites, kits and a fun little craft book but lets be honest…I have no idea what I am doing. I am just taking each day as it comes and hoping for the best. Might throw the towel in, or might not. Might takes years to understand all this, might not. Guess my point is, is that we all have dreams, we all have goals and fears and have no idea what will happen but even with all that going on it is so important to just go for it. Just do the things that make you happy. And sharing that happiness with others is never a bad thing. So I hope I get to accomplish these goals of mine so I can share more things with everyone. Hope you like this old DIY from my past. Happy creating everyone.

” A heart without a dream is like a bird without feathers.”

Suzy Kassem

oh my goodness, i love melted crayon art, but i have never used rocks, great idea, thank you!

1. You’re welcome Wendi, glad you like it.

I really enjoy all the neat things you share with us!

2. You are always so sweet Wendi, thanks.

you are very welcome, always enjoy my visits 🙂

2. Jane Fritz says:

How do you think of these things?!! ❤️

1. I had a whole bag of crayons and a backyard full of rocks and a class headed over to my house for a lesson. I remember doing melted crayon art back when I was a kid so someone else thought of this way before me, just passing it on to the next person.

3. Librarylady says:

This is so fun. I’ve painted rocks with my kids before, but this is a whole new thing. Love the bright colors!

Great idea of going back to past projects! These rocks are perfect for a camping craft. Between 3 of us as neighbours at our summer campground we would take turns hosting craft afternoons..as.y hubz would say…IN THE WOODS

1. So fun being outdoors and making some art. I have thousands of photos that I have taken over the years, just waiting to be turned into fun little post. Just wish I had the time to do more. Not easy keeping up with everything.

Nope, I read some of my posts i do and wonder if anyone notices all the typos and disorganized layout lol..sometimes if I have a few hours I scedule a few posts at a time…but of course it shows

2. Oh my gosh, I also have typos and depending on how quick I try to put something together you can tell too. My daughter posts things for me because I am just terrible at all that technical stuff, plus she was suppose to read over everything to help with editing but she just publishes the way it is written. You should see all the little red lines everywhere when I write up anything. I always struggled with Academics as a child. Love those little red lines to help remind me of all my mistakes. My daughter did bring up that she notices a lot of letters in wrong places. I remember in school I would switch b, p and d also q and g. Instead of pitcher it would be bitcher. To get through exams in High School I would use my uncles old tape recorder to read the lessons out loud and listen to it over and over. I am the only one in my immediate family that graduated High School and then went onto a Jr. College for awhile. My father never learned how to read. Dyslexia runs in our family. All anyone can do is the best they can and they should still go for it, what ever it is.

My brother was dyslexic. I excelled at english. Math …as soon as they added letters to the numbers I was done lol. Between my brain fog now and bum hand my spelling..and even more so typing is terrible! Your right we do the best we can, this is a hobby and I try to remind myself that.

4. Yes, just do what feels your heart with Joy. Anytime something starts getting to feel a little stressful I step away for awhile. I like things to be about having fun. So sorry to hear about your health problems. That just makes everything harder. I always say to the kids that true friends don’t care about imperfections in speaking, writing or what we wear, drive, how our house looks. They are there for our company only and the fun we all can have together just being who we are.

Great fun activity for kids!

6. ruthsoaper says:

So cool. I especially love the last part where you melted all the crayons together.

1. That was the easiest part and it was fun seeing the colors melt together. Thank you.

1. ruthsoaper says:

I have some silicone molds that I have been using for soap making I wonder if that would works for making those types of crayons.

2. I have used silicone molds to make really fun crayon shapes. I have two sizes of hearts and I make the cutest little heart crayons with them. Then I sew up a cotton bag with a draw string and give them out with coloring pages. I usually use the molds for goats milk soap. The crayons pop out clean just like soap.

3. You’re welcome. Have fun making them.

7. Michelle says:

This is such a cute idea!! As hot as it is
    here today we could probably just lay use the rocks from the yard. 🤣 I love the idea of melting down the crayons and attaching them to paper. Very clever!

1. Thank you Michelle. It gets that hot here in Phoenix too, it is not fun out there at those temps. I am so looking forward to cooler temps.