DIY vintage Halloween decor.

Happy October everyone. Wow are these months flying by or what?. Thought it would be fun to share with you all a fun Halloween project to get you in the mood for ghost, scary cats, and jack-o-lanterns from long ago.This is a pretty quick DIY and it comes with a couple “Nailed it” moments. I tried but was unsuccessful in painting detailed faces. Might have rushed through this DIY too fast to post something new for everyone. Has anyone else done this? Yep, still working on that plate of projects I wanted to finish in the month of August.

I still had time to do a quick DIY project for you all. Here are the supplies you will need:

Self hardening clay

Paint- black, orange, red, white.

Black felt or wool for tiny witch hat,

Polka dotted red or orange ribbon.

Tacky glue

Wire

Toothpick

Fine tip paintbrush (very important when painting tiny detailed faces)

First step is to to knead your clay piece you will be forming into shapes. Then start shaping out circular bowls for pumpkins, balls for pumpkins , cats, and shapes of ghosts. Use toothpicks to add lines to the balls you roll out to give your pumpkins more detail and shape. Poke holes for eyes and a mouth using toothpicks.Then let them dry over night. I added wire to the clay bowls for handles.DSC_1762.JPG

Once dry, start decorating and painting. I am in desperate need of a paintbrush for fine detail.I haven’t gotten around to shopping for some. I used a toothpick to paint on the faces so it came out sloppy. Oh well, you guys get the point, Guess every now and then we are all allowed some nailed it moments. Every time I try to copy something this is what happens. I do so much better designing my own things.

This is what I was going for.

And this is what I got with the tools and materials I had at the time. So don’t let my mistake be your mistake. Also, I think it would have helped if the items were sculpted a little larger. Anytime something is extra small, it is also extra hard to work with.

This old cat ad photo from long ago was my inspiration for little black cats.

And this is what I did, very simple and primitive in style. I have always been inspired by folk art. Just create and what ever happens is okay…it’s all good and fun.

So have fun everyone, mistakes and all. Happy creating and Happy October. I need to make a pretty Fall wreath before this month is over. I better get to that.

Copyright 2019  © Our Little Red House

Super cute! Very detail too! Kids would love this for sure!

I am so protective of my fine paint brush. Hubz use to to model cars and he was the one who taught me about a 00 paint brush lol. For a toothpick you are and artist! I dont see a mess at all!.

The dollarstore sells bricks of clay I have always wondered if it was any good, as i am no artist just a crafy girl. Wouldnt want to spend too much..but these look fun!

1. Wow, thank you, so sweet. It is not easy working with a toothpick, these things are tiny. You will have fun with clay. Wish our dollar store had clay, think they may have colorful children’s clay which is always fun to practice sculpting with. Create little aliens with funky features and silly expressions to start out with. That way even if it is a mistake and your were going for a dog or cat you can just say to created an alien from another planet. My kids I I did that one night with a package of clay and we laughed and laughed at our silly creations. When ever you need a good laugh pull out some clay and try to guess what each of you has made.

My youngest use to ask for the coloured clay packs for his birthdays and xmas…our thing was play food went make and pretend to eat. As he got older he would make little figurines (this stuff stayed soft)

2. My kids loved play clay too. We also make our own with salt.

I loved salt clay as a young girl. You have me wanting go buy some clay and play!

4. We saved a ton of money when I was a kid making salt clay ornaments. One year our horses ate them so I had to make a whole new batch. My dad stored our holiday decor out in the hay shed. I will be doing a DIY this Christmas along with the recipe for one of my 12 days of Christmas crafts. I am usually done with that by now and have it all pre-scheduled. I am behind on everything because I am trying to put together that Christmas book.

Lool forward to it, im juggling xmas and halloween atm. With the doggos sick its a mostly cuddle on the couch.stitch and hallmark movies via you tube..i even once listened to xmas music…that is a funny story about your horses haha

6. Me too. Today I am trying to get some holiday projects finished so I can take photos up north when we are up there getting our place ready for the Winter. I have some Swedish gnomes to make, a felted fox. a little ceramic house, some caps for some garden gnomes and cookies for everyone when we get up there. My daughter isn’t feeling well at the moment so fruit smoothies have just been added to the list. Oh yeah and a table for behind the couch, paint some trim around the window and I just discovered a leak out in the laundry room sink. Just another Friday.

You and me both friend! We had the two boya at home with the flu each for a week and a half. Then the two dogs…little one still has it. Today the universe decided all that and dealing with waiting on treatment got my anemia was not enough. Hubz woke up with a hernia. The ER dr confirmed it but the hospital is to busy for an ultrasound today so he got the old we will call you with an appointment but if it gets worse come back. Not sure were all of this leaves us for upcoming thanksgiving and the holidays.

8. That is no fun. I hope you guys start having better days with your health. As soon as the holidays get here it seems we all get sick with something.

My SIL and I always say TIS THE SEASON

3. Camie says:

Love the little black cats! All of your DIY and craft posts are so fun! You are so talented and creative. I can’t believe it’s October already. I feel like we should still be back in August!

1. Thank you Camie. I can’t believe October is here either. It was like August just flew by. These months are just flying by.

4. These are sooo CUTE! I didn’t do any sculpting this year- just ran out of time. Your post is making me want to do some more Halloween sculpts. Maybe next year.

1. Thank you Sandra. I know what you mean when it comes to running out of time. Wish there were more hours in the day that’s for sure. I still need to finish painting and decorating my clay snowmen and angels I did. Christmas is racing here now that Halloween is right around the corner.