Brrrr…the water is getting too cold.

It’s official, Fall is really here. Natives in Phoenix don’t really get to experience Fall like others out in the world, with their pretty leaves and crisp early mornings sipping hot beverages. Our Winter months are like the rest of the world’s Fall months. Except where you all get leaves and eventually bare trees we get a whole lot of cacti.

The way we know it is officially Fall here in the city is by jumping into our pools and getting a big surprise, because it’s cold.  That’s our test, the water goes from hot tub warm to too cold. I feel like I am living in a scene from Goldilocks and the three bears.

Seriously though, the water temps change that fast. One day while I was out finishing a table for the couch in our Arizona room, I decided to jump in the pool to cool off. During the day out in the sun, it get’s warm. An Arizona room is just a back room with lots of big windows everywhere to let in sunshine. It’s a place for plants.

As soon as I jumped in I was hit with that “Yep, it’s October everyone”. I am not a big fan of cold temps. Maybe that’s because I was born and raised here in Arizona and we are warm blooded creatures. I did live in Texas and North Dakota for awhile, when I was a little girl, but never had a Winter there. As soon as it got too cold my dad would pack up and head back to Arizona.

To be honest, I would not recommend a pool, too much upkeep. When I was a kid we had an above ground temporary pool. We had so much fun with that during bar-b-ques. Everyone would get in having fun cooling off. We would fill the whole thing up with float toys. There was hardly any room in the pool, so funny.

Then there was the time my dad filled one of my uncle’s old pickup beds with a vinyl liner, then took a garden hose and filled it up with water. That was called a red neck pool I think from a comedian years ago. I remember the first time I heard Jeff Foxworthy say that and I started laughing and turning to my husband said “I had one of those pools”.

Just us kids hanging out in a tiny plastic pool. In the background is my uncle’s old truck. I’m in the middle between my two cousins who were visiting that day. Summers have always been very hot here in the desert. A tiny bucket of water would have been as much fun as that itty bitty pool.

I have had just about every kind of pool you can think of. Blow up, plastic, above ground, old pick up bed, and now this giant pool that takes up too much space that would be better as a garden. When ever my husband jumps in he always says “I am turning this into a underground garden or apartment and we will raise fish to eat”. Wonder what non-mercury fish taste like. My favorite pool by far was that home made pool my dad made out of my uncles truck. All the kids piled in and we just sat it in giggling at how silly the whole thing was…it was beautiful. I still get a laugh thinking about that to this day. I wish I had an old photo of that.

So I am done jumping in that pool. Welcome to October everyone. It’s too cold for me now. My husband on the other hand will get in the pool all the way into January. He tolerates cold better then me. Believe me, it is too cold. We don’t heat the pool. There are some people who have heated pools but we are not those people. We try to be frugal with what we spend our money on because we have two children in college. A heated pool is a luxury. Guess I will always be used to those pools in a pick up bed.

Anyway, I forgot to share with you all the new color we painted the block fence. This summer just flew by so fast I forgot to post the end results. Remember my son picked out the color to brighten it up out there. We went from it being black like this. It was nice enough but dark colors heat up fast here in the desert areas.

DSC05023.JPG

Now it looks like this.

I finished it before it got too hot out there.

A garden is one of those places that is always changing. Blue is a very calming color too. Everyone took a vote and we all decided on anything blue. I love the color my son picked.

While I was swimming another white feather fell down and floated around me. You know what they say about those white feathers, they are signs your guardian angel is near. I will swim back and forth and where once there was no feather a fresh one shows up every time.

My favorite part out here in the garden is that tree. At one time it was going to be cut down because one of the owners said it caused a lot of mess in the pool. My daughter ran to it and said “No, this is my tree now and I want it to stay.” She was so tiny then that her arms barely fit around the tree. My husband and I both smiled because we both feel the same way about trees. We need more of them. That is our daughter for sure. We would get rid of the pool before that tree. That tree is more popular then that pool.

My son would climb it as soon as he was old enough to reach it and sit up there watching our chickens all day long. On the other side of the pool’s safety fence is where we keep chickens, and our edible garden. There used to be a swing set back there when the kids were little. We have all enjoyed this tree over the years. I don’t mind cleaning up leaves and pollen from it.

DSC05653.JPG

DSC04831.JPG

A couple months ago I bought some solar fairy lights to hang in it.Now every night when the sun starts to go down, those lights come on. It is very pretty how it reflects off the water. Just floating out there in the pool at night looking up at the tiny stars far away and those little lights hanging down, it’s very beautiful.

After a long day working on up-cyling furniture, there is nothing better then hanging out under a beautiful tree. That’s right, we finished that table that is sitting behind our couch now. This is how this post idea of mine started, jumping in that pool after a long day of hanging out in the sun.

The table is perfect for extra house plants and for Sammy to hang out watching birds. He normally just sits on the couch.

Summer really is over but another beautiful season is back to hang out with us all. Happy Fall everyone.

Update on our friends up north- Rod came out of his emergency heart surgery and is now healing. Thank you everyone so much for your prayers. The doctors and nurses were so kind and did a great job. Rod and Liz still need prayers in Rod’s recovery. They’re such a sweet couple. God bless you all and have a wonderful Sunday where ever you are out there in the world, from all of us at Our Little Red House.

1. Jane Fritz says:

Lol. I love your test of fall; not exactly the same as we have here just east of Maine, basking in the glow of red and orange leaves and crunching on those already fallen! Each has its appeal. 🍁😊

1. Oh I bet it is gorgeous. I always enjoy seeing Fall colors. I can’t wait to head up north and see what colors there are everywhere.

what a beautiful backyard!

1. Thank you Wendi. I love watching the wild doves back there, come down to eat the seeds I leave out for them.

that sounds absolutely lovely………

3. What a beautiful pool and I love the new paint color!

4. I love your backyard. For us we only have about three months where we can use a pool so even if we had a big enough yard we probably wouldn’t put one in. It seems to take forever for spring to get here, summer is only about three months and by September it’s cold again so what’s the point? Our neighbors have a heated pool or a pool that heats sometimes. It’s nice but when we had humid days this summer it felt like sitting in a hot tub in 90 degree weather and wasn’t very relaxing. It was still nice of them to invite us over. We know it’s Fall here when the air gets crisp, the leaves start changing colors or falling off the trees. For the last few years the leaves just seem to be committing suicide before they even change which is disappointing.

1. I have only been in a heated pool once in my life and that was on vacation with my husband before we had kids. It was exactly like you described, a humid hot tub. Here in Phoenix if you can get through our really hot months it isn’t so bad but I do love those different colored leaves the rest of the world gets. The only reason we have this pool in our back yard is because this house was a foreclosure so the Government was selling it cheap. My husband bought it to flip but we ended up moving in because of the extra room it had, plus it was cheaper then the other house we had which my husband’s brother ended up buying from him. It is just around the corner so we are all close to one another. I just love old homes but they takes a lot of upkeep and repairing to do. Old homes come with old pipes and electric. I hope you get lots of beautiful leaves this Fall and they don’t kill themselves early. I know you will take gorgeous photos with that eye of yours.

1. I hope we get some nice leaves to photograph too. Sometimes I think we will get nothing and then bam! At the end of the season there they are!

2. If you do get a bunch to photograph take lots of photos, I love to see them.

5. Sartenada says:

Hello.

This is your own pool? Wow, I do love it! I do not love to swim in cold water. In my country we have solution to tolerate cold water- Sauna. After swimming going to warm or hot Sauna. Internet is full of instructions how to build and to use Sauna. I have also, but I want to present you Saunas on wheels. As the text tells, these Saunas can be taken everywhere, they have wheels! Here my two posts presenting mobile Sauna meeting:

Holy smoke – Gathering of mobile Saunas

Saunas on wheels2

I have been in Sauna in Brazil and they were nearly like ours.

Happy weekend!

1. Yes, it is so big it takes up the second half of our yard. It would be a nice garden I think. The originally owners who had this pool built wanted a diving pool. They wanted a huge pool that they could dive in so they had it custom made. It is so deep that we have had family members complain that it is too deep.
      Love the saunas, they remind me of tiny houses. I am always watching them being built on YouTube. My husband would love one. Thank you for the links, great post of yours.

6. Holly G. says:

I absolutely love this post and I love how you love that tree too! My wish would be for more people to love trees and plant life as you do. What a difference that would make! All of this clear cutting going on is devastating to see.

Your pool looks incredibly relaxing. They are a lot of work but so very refreshing after a long hot day in the sun. It’s in those moments you really appreciate having one. And I adore how you hung the fairy lights from the tree. As you said – to see the stars at night with the lights reflecting off the water – wow…. that’s amazing.

The table looks beautiful, by the way. I love how it perfectly holds those small houseplants and is the perfect sitting spot for your cute kitty. (cat lover here). I’d say it’s the perfect addition to your home!

1. Oh my gosh, you are too sweet…so happy to have found another tree lover. Thank you for stopping by my site. The cats already love the little table. They can see the birds better now.

1. Holly G. says:

😀 You just made my day hearing about how the cats love the table. “Bird TV” can’t be beat!

I’m grateful to have found your blog. What a joy you and it is! ♥

2. Thank you Holly and that goes back to you too…so glad you stopped by because now I have discovered your site. I wish I had more time to explore other sites. I try to at least once a month go exploring and finding new sites to visit. There are a lot really nice bloggers out there just waiting for us all to visit. Bird tv, that’s funny. The cats get up every morning waiting to watch it. Sometimes the birds are on the other side of the window on another little table we made. The birds will pop up their heads looking for the humans that feed them in the morning, they are like “Hey, you guys sleeping in or what.?” so cute to watch the cats and birds enjoy each other from the safety of that big glass window.

3. Holly G. says:

There really are some amazing bloggers out there. I know what you mean about time constraints and wishing there was more time available to explore.

I love your story about the cats and the birds in the morning through that window. Adorable! I bet there are days when you sit back with a tea or coffee and just admire the beauty of such a creation? Pure joy and all smiles. 🙂 Our Dizzy does much the same in the bay window. The side yard it faces fills fast with the birds we feed as well. She will run from window to window watching them and ‘chasing’ them. And of course – there’s the kitty chatter. I bet you have heard your fair share of cat chatter too!

Nature is simply incredible. To take in the overwhelming beauty surrounding us that we are gifted to observe every day often takes the breath away, doesn’t it? 💚

4. It sure does. The cats are funny with their weird noises.

7. What a wonderful backyard and I love your pool. Ours only warmed to about 67 this year but having a pool in Michigan is sometimes not ideal. The cats are so funny. Love the story 💗

1. Thank you Lisa. 67 is cold to me too, but my husband loves it. Our cat always scares the birds away from the window area, he is funny to watch. It’s their daily television I guess.