A visit to a Ray Villafane’s enchanted pumpkin garden.

DSC08430

Thought I share this with you all, an Arizona adventure from the past. A couple years ago we all decided to drive over to Carefree ( a short drive for us) to spend the day out there exploring shops and a pumpkin garden everyone here in Arizona was talking about at the time.

The pumpkin patch was in the Carefree desert garden, which is in downtown Carefree.

DSC08439.JPG

They have pumpkin displays that are surrounded by beautiful cacti and plants everywhere. It’s the perfect place to put you in an Arizona Fall mood. We don’t get the pretty leaves here in the desert areas. You have to drive up north to the mountain areas for that.

DSC08478.JPG

I am not sure about this, I could be wrong, but I think the artist Ray Villafane has a home out here in Arizona, so we get to see his pumpkins during the Fall. He also has other carvers who display their work at this garden exhibit.

DSC08455.JPG

Ray Villafane is famous around the world when it comes to his work. He used to be an art teacher for grades K-12th in Michigan and one day he started doing pumpkin sculptures with his students and everything kind of took off from there, the rest as they say is history.

He even does sand sculptures. My favorite was an elephant he did. Just amazing the talent he has. I love how he helps encourage children to be creative and even teaches classes where families and kids get together to carve pumpkins.

DSC08426.JPG

The carved pumpkins are all displayed in large jars inside faux cacti throughout the garden area. You just walk around looking at art. Pumpkins turned into art that is. None of my Jack O’lanterns ever looked like this.

DSC08443.JPG

The detail is amazing. This one has teeth…yikes!

DSC08421.JPG

I love this one because it was a dog. So sweet, look at it’s face, adorable. He looks a little sad though. He needs a hug for sure. Maybe I could try needle felting a dog. Anything and everything can inspire us all to create.

DSC08419.JPG

Look at this one, it’s wearing glasses, so funny.

DSC08474.JPG

And this one has lashes.

DSC08513.JPG

They preserve the sculptures by keeping them in jars. I like the fact that the little ones can’t get into them, which would be very tempting if they were out for everyone to touch.

DSC08468.JPG

There are some talented sculptors out there.

DSC08450.JPG

The rest of the garden is filled with whimsical pumpkin scenes.

DSC08445.JPG

DSC08447.JPG

DSC08448.JPG

The outhouse scene was funny with the carved pumpkin holding it’s nose from the smell.

DSC08446.JPG

Hope you all liked this one. They do this event every year out here in Carefree Arizona, not getting anything for sharing this. Just wanted to share something fun with you all. Happy pumpkin carving everyone

Copyright 2019 Our Little Red House  ©

1. drjurisharma says:

Lovely pumpkin 🎃 art. Halloween feel ☺️

1. Wish I could carve a pumpkin like these artist. My pumpkins still have triangle eyes. They are hard to carve. I need fancy tools.

1. drjurisharma says:

Keep your creativity alive 👍

2. Michelle says:

I love this!! I wish I was in Arizona so I could visit this garden. The outhouse crew is my favorite overall, but I love them all!

1. They are so creative with their displays. The even have pumpkins at the top of the water fall fountain that are getting ready to dive into the fountain. So fun seeing all the different ways they display pumpkins.

2. Whoops, I meant they not the, I am terrible with the typos. Also forgot, thank you. Sometimes you can really tell when I am doing too much and my comments and posts are all over the place.

Beautiful! None of mine ever turned out like this either lol.

These remind me of a lady in town who carves 100s the week of halloween, displays them on her lawn and takes donations for charity. Ive only ever seen pictures in the local paper.

Id love a little slice of fall heaven like this! To walk amoung

1. There are so many talented people out there, I love seeing what they all come up with. I always laugh when I come across the pumpkins that are throwing up. We have a neighbor that does that. We save our seeds though. We either roast them or use them in arts and craft projects.

HAHA we did the puke pumpkin one year, years ago, the kids just HAD to try it lol

2. Every time I see that pumpkin in our neighborhood I laugh, it’s so gross and funny.

4. Wow! This was sooo amazing! The one with the lashes and the one where they are roasting marshmallows were my favs!!!

1. Thank you Renee, glad you enjoyed it. The detail is amazing on these pumpkins.

5. Pallavi says:

Wow! This is amazing

6. masgautsen says:

Wow That is amazing pumkin art

1. Thank you, so happy you like it. The detail up close is really cool too. Didn’t have the right camera with me for shots like that, wish I could have shared that. There are some amazing artists out there that’s for sure.