Shopping trip with hubby

DSC_1908.JPG

Sometimes we take shopping trips to my husband’s favorite stores. Those stores either are car related or outdoor adventure and sports stores. Whoops, forgot fish and scuba, oh and restaurant supply stores. Then there are the little mom and pop delis around the city. He actually enjoys a lot of unique shops.

Last month we went to one of my husband’s favorite mini mom and pop grocery stores. We had to pick up some Bulgar. I love that stuff.

The middle eastern market we go to is run by a sweet couple. The wife is always behind the counter with one of the brightest smiles I have ever come across. It is a smile straight from her heart. Her and her family came to the states from Iraq. Christians that started a little business when they came to the United States.

Their little shop reminds me once again of the mom and pop shops in Europe. It’s so different from the huge grocery stores here in our states. When my husband would have family visit us from Italy they were always impressed with our mega food stores.

We usually just buy bulk items here at this little market, like beans and rice, but sometimes for a special treat we will buy their home made breads.

And pick up a couple sweets on our way out.

This is the only place I have been able to find Kinder eggs. They used to be the European kind but now they are the American kind, which aren’t as good in my opinion. So strange that the food rules are super strict in our country with some things here but then they are allowed to add tons of chemicals (poisons in my opinion) to our food. I am not sure what is true anymore when it comes to information but I have heard that there are many countries out there that will not take food items from our country. That’s some scary stuff right there.

On the way out from the market my husband noticed a new store had opened up next door. We went over to check it out.

DSC_1936.JPG

It was a Volkswagen store and repair shop. Looks like my husband found another favorite store.

DSC_1913.JPG

In the shop was a little Volkswagen.

DSC_1903

So cute, these little bugs.

DSC_1923.JPG

On the ceiling were pages and pages from old Volkswagen magazines.

DSC_1929.JPG

The shop even came with a dog. I love it when I am greeted in a store by a dog. Who wouldn’t like that. That is always so funny to me when I get surprised by a four legged employee. The four legged employees are only at small businesses. The big guys (major stores) are not allowed to hire the four legged kind.

DSC_1915.JPG

This dog gets paid in belly rubs, ear scratches and just a good long petting. As you can tell he is very happy with his payment plan.

DSC_1918.JPG

The store also has some old items from the past like this vintage 7-up soda machine.

DSC_1940.JPG

And if your husband gets to talking with the owner, remember my Italian husband can talk…there is always Ms. Pac Man to entertain you. I know nothing about cars.

DSC_1941.JPG

My husband was behind this old door where the mechanics work, he was talking to one of the owners and learning about the history of the shop.

DSC_1919.JPG

It’s a great story where the grandfather and his son rebuilt old bugs and then the grand kids followed suit. Now the family has a shop, a very popular one too. They do body work and repairs.

DSC_1931.JPG

They even have clubs.

DSC_1912.JPG

I am not getting anything for promoting these shops, just a good feeling of sharing another shopping adventure with you all. You all know I love supporting the little mom and pop businesses. Hope you liked this one, it’s for all those wonderful men out there. I have noticed lately that men are getting hit hard right now in our country, at least it seems this way. So to all you Grandpas, fathers, brothers, uncles and sons…thank you for all that you do. Remember everyone,  go on shopping adventures to the stores they love .

DSC_1932.JPG

Husband’s recipe for Bulgar

1 cup of bulgar

2 cups of chicken stock.

Mix the two together, bring to a boil, cover, then turn off and let it sit for 20 minutes. That’s it. Pretty simple huh?  Hey, I like it. Great little side dish or meal for upset stomachs during the cold and flu season.

Happy shopping adventures everyone.

Copyright 2019 Our Little Red House  ©

1. Ahh there is nothing better than the European kinder eggs!!! ❤️

2. Michelle says:

What a fun day! I love old stores like that. There’s only one left close by and they have all the candy that I used to love when I was little. There’s also a nursery outside and they make the most beautiful flower baskets. I love to go in and look at the unique plants they sell. I miss small town grocery stores.

1. Me too Michelle, they are so fun. I remember an old candy store by a park when I was younger. They had old fashioned candy from long ago like candy cigarettes. Bet those flower baskets were pretty, Everything you just described I have taken photos of this week. I went exploring in the woods looking for flowers, branches and other supplies for my art. I have a whole table full of baskets with wildflowers right now sitting out in my garden waiting to be turned into something. And I took photos of our neighbors old candy from years ago that’s in a museum they live in. You can’t eat it but it is fun to see products from the past.

I love little ma and pa shops. We have tons of multicultural shops around here. I loooove kinder eggs, I always heard the US does not allow the sale if them because of small parts in the toys?
    Got to love a shop with a dog and Ms Pacman!

1. Me too, they are so much fun. They started selling Kinder eggs here in the states but they are not chocolate eggs. They put the toy on one side of the plastic egg container and then they have this weird candy treat on the other side. It is like little crunchy cookie balls and white cream to dip them in. I just got back from another shop with a dog, actually two dogs but they both looked exactly the same.

Thats a wierd! Kinder egg! Here its always dark chocolate on the outside white chocolate inside and a plastic egg with a toy…since I can remember as a little girl

2. I know, weird huh? I bought my first Kinder egg in Italy and fell in love with their little toys. I was an adult but I am always a kid at heart. When ever my husbands family would visit us here in the states they would always ask what we wanted them to bring back. My husband always asked for Nutella and I always asked for Italian fashion magazines and Kinder eggs.

Haha me and my mids are huge nutella fans….and kinder egg toys. You dont have nutella in the US?

4. We have Nutella now but years back we didn’t. My husband says the American Nutella taste different then the Italian Nutella he grew up on. I guess it’s like those Kinder eggs.

Weve had it here ever since i remember, we didnt have pb and j in our portuguese house. We also drank ovaltine! And my dad drank sanka coffee ( and a portuguese import i think called tofina) we have a little portuguese bakery down the road, my kids love alot of foods and imported treats there

6. I have heard of Ovaltine but some of the others I don’t recognize. Here in America we have always had peanut butter and jelly. I grew up on that stuff. Even now, every once in awhile if I am super tired, I will just make a pb and j sandwich for dinner. Bet that bakery has some yummy stuff in it. I always love fresh baked anything.

It has baked goods and imported cheese and meats and treats and they cook traditional portuguese foods daily. You go im for bread thinking your not hungry but as soon as you smell the food your starving lol. We love PB in this house too, havnt stocked nutella in awhile, but we use go go through the large jars lol
        I make smores with it too!

8. You’re making me hungry. I am terrible with the sweets. That bakery sounds like something we would all love visiting.

4. Holly G. says:

Oooh I just love this post! When you described the precious lady from Iraq with the smile straight from her heart – I could feel the warmth all over my body. It made me so happy that they are doing well and doing what they enjoy! What a great feel good story! 😀

Small, home grown country stores are the best, I agree! They just have such a charm about them that nowhere else on the planet could possibly emulate. My husband and his father many moons ago ran a country store in a nearby town. I love how you and your husband go out and support these small businesses. Most especially that you come share them with us!

Both places look fascinating. And that pug…..oh goodness, I would have to resist taking him home! 😛 Adorable!!

1. Awww…thank you Holly. Those mom and pop country stores are so cute. I always think of that movie Baby boom when I step into one. We have so many stores here in the city that it is nice to stop off in those little shops. I always want to take the little animals home with me. They are so happy when someone walks into the store. I come across lots of dogs and cats in small businesses. Having an animal around in these stores puts everyone at ease, kinda of like we aren’t shopping but just stopping by for a visit into someones home. That’s really smart.

1. Holly G. says:

*shaking my head in agreement* It is very smart indeed. It’s also nice that they can have their beloved pet at work with them. Makes for a much more joy-filled work day 🙂

2. Agree, pets make everyone happy.