3 DIY frugal Home decor projects for a day of Thanksgiving.

It seems like Fall gets here and is gone before we get a chance to really enjoy it. Christmas everywhere but I still try to hold onto Fall as long as possible. Our home is currently decorated in Fall decor because Thanksgiving is coming up at the end of the month. Once that is over, then all the Christmas decor will come out.

These 3 projects come from a shopping trip I took with my daughter. She tried on clothes after clothes and I walked around the store seeing what they have available to buy.

During the holidays we try to save our money for road trips up north and festivals around our city. I try to keep cost down by making a lot of things myself. There were several items in the store I decided to try to create my own…this is so fun to do. I do like my little games of being frugal during the holidays.

Okay, so this is what I decided to try to make myself, well I was inspired to make something similar that is. I decided to create something like this glass goblet.

A pretty sunflower arrangement.

And this pumpkin.

The glasses I knew would be a bit of a challenge considering it has been awhile (many years) since I have done any art. I used to study art in college and painted and drew all the time.  Free handing some things is still difficult. You can use leaf stencils and leaves to trace around to help out with this process. I ended up tracing a leaf I had.

Then I mixed school glue with my acrylic paints to give it a translucence effect so the light would come through for fairy lights I added later. Anytime you are painting glass like windows or frames and you want the light to shine through just add some school glue in your paint mixture.

The pumpkins were fairly simple. I had some pumpkins left over from Halloween so I just used those.

Just glue twine strips around the pumpkins and add a twig from a tree branch.

To be honest, some of these pumpkins look like garlic. They would be cute hanging from a rope in your kitchen for some French Farmhouse decor.

I picked up this sunflower arrangement second hand. It was a little thin and was also damaged but for $1 that’s to be expected.

I took it apart and added some twigs and branches that I collected up north and a big pretty burlap bow.

All these items were either already in my home or I bought them second hand for at the most a little over $1 each. Being frugal helps save us money and cuts down on waste on this planet. Find something that inspires you and try creating it yourself in your own special way. Happy creating everyone.

1. lulu says:

Clever and doable.

2. Mommy Me says:

Beautiful and very creative!

3. Liz says:

I totally agree, very nice and creative.

4. Cool operating! I love the idea for the glasses. I did not know that mixo g glue with acrylic paint about on glass.

1. Thanks Robin. I can’t remember where i saw the paint recipe but I do remember years ago reading a book about different paint techniques. I think one was mixed with soap flakes. I have to find that again. There are all kinds of tricks when it comes to paints.

5. Fat finger on phone syndrome…hope you can decifer that comment. 😃 it was suppose to be cool upgrades.

1. I do that all the time. I just laugh at my mistakes, they are funny sometimes.

OK………you have outdone yourself this time. I love all the frugal decorations – perfect. I just wish fall would last a bit longer!

1. Thank you Wendi and I agree, I wish Fall would hang around a little longer. I love the colors.

7. what a great idea! they came out really nice! Love the glasses. My aunt used to make similar projects. She was so crafty.

1. Thank you Lisa, just saving money making things myself. I have a crafty aunt and the other aunt likes to read and loves science. They are total opposites.

8. Cass & Tina says:

I love the glass goblet! Such a great idea!

9. JOY journal says:

Love the glass work! Have a blessed Thanksgiving. 🙂

1. Thank you, I have to check this out and I hope you get to make many pretty items for your new home when you get it, it is out there waiting and you will know when you see it.