12 Days of Christmas crafts…day 6

DIY up cycled garden can

We save a lot of are empty food cans for planting seeds before we transfer them to bigger pots. Sometimes I will also clean up my garden some and take tiny baby cacti and other succulent clippings to pass out to others. If you want to make your cans pretty you can decorate them. This is an easy way to add a little pretty to plain cans from your kitchen. Another fun idea is to measure out some pretty paper and decoupage it to the cans, you can even use fabric scraps to make your cans pretty. When I was a little girl we used empty cans for pencils, crayons, and paint brushes. Think my dad had a huge coffee can of nails in his shed too. Just another way to use what you have on hand to organize things. Think how pretty a whole shelf of cans covered in pretty fabrics and threads would look on your craft shelves (if you are a DIY person that is). Now days everyone is using chalk paint for things, which I love. How pretty would that be to do some farmhouse inspired cans. Have fun with this one everyone.

Supplies needed

Empty tomato can clean and dry

Twine

Red and white yarn

Tacky glue

Scissors

Small plant

Small red and white pom poms (optional)

Thread and needle

First clean and dry your empty tomato paste can. After it dries wrap and glue twine and yarn around can and glue in place.

I picked Christmas colors but you can do non holiday colors for all year decor use.

Drill holes in bottom of can for drainage before you add your plant. You should do this before you start wrapping but it also can be done afterwards.

The funnest part to this project to me is picking out a plant to put in my recycled can.

Add plant to can. As you all know, living here in Arizona, there is never a shortage of cacti.

For added detail string up some tiny pom poms and wrap around your plants for a Christmas theme.

Pretty easy and inexpensive too. Happy recycling and planting everyone.

1. That is so cool! Love the cactus and can idea!

super cute! I have tried this with the big #10 cans and it didn’t work so well, i’ll have to try a small can now.

1. I love those giant cans. I have paintbrushes in some of my cans here at home.

I love those too! 🙂 great minds think alike 🙂

2. I have to be careful though because I tend to collect too many things so I do donation piles every month to keep the clutter down. Having less stuff makes running a home so much easier.

you are absolutely right………I would love to be a minimalist but with 5 other people in the house it is a difficult battle. 🙂

4. So true, seems like there is always a load of laundry or dishes to do.

absolutely always!

3. kat says:

Oh wow, this is so wonderful and so simple! I always feel bad about throwing away cans because I have no idea what to do with them, but I’m always desperately trying to start a garden (I have a brown thumb) and I’m really hoping to involve my kids, so this is a really fantastic idea. Thanks!

4. Great way to recycle tin cans. I have been collecting quite a few for craft projects. Any more ideas of inexpensive ways to use them?

1. No but I am sure there are all kinds of ideas on YouTube and the net. Always good to recycle. Thank you.

5. Anita says:

Very creative and a great result!