A Christmas Truce.

“If the only prayer you ever say in your entire life is thank you, it will be enough.”

Meister Eckhart

Trigger warning: As always, my posts are never intended to trigger anyone but I feel I have to let some of my followers know this post covers a little political rant of mine and also has a Christian message in it. So for any non Christian followers of mine just wanted to let you all know that I also wish you happy holidays too, you can scroll down to the end of this post for all the greetings and well wishes I have for you all as well. Plus I have a funnier post tomorrow for Christmas day sharing some of our Christmas adventures from our past and this week here in Arizona. No judgement ever on my part if you choose to skip this post. We are all the same person and we all should always treat each other with kindness. At the end of this message that is what I was trying to write about all along.

The Christmas truce.

Christmas blogging wouldn’t be Christmas blogging for me if I didn’t have one of my long inspirational post I love sharing at this time of year. This year I just didn’t seem to have it in me. It is so sad what is happening around the world. In the years I have been blogging every now and then I would add in my post to please pass on kindness out there in the world. Please spread love. I felt this ugliness brewing way back then (about three years now since I started blogging) and now I am afraid it is so bad that there is just too much hate.

I tend to share some things that are really personal and sometimes I think maybe I share a bit too much. Maybe someone will think I am not all there ( afraid of being accused of being strange I guess, get that from having the sabotaging mom I grew up with) but there are many things that have happened in my life that I just can’t explain. No one can. My husband and children have witnessed some of these events as well.I believe there is a spiritual war going on right now and while no one can see it in the flesh, there are those who stand and walk on this planet that can feel it in their hearts and souls.

This Christmas I was feeling a little down because last year there seem to be more family involved in my life. I even wrote about it here. But this year it seems like everyone is making excuses to not hanging out with each other. And to be honest I am also included in that group. I no longer want to be around cousins who sneer behind my back, and talk about political hate they have. It is like everyone is sizing each other up, trying to figure out what side they are on. A whole lot of judging going on right now in our country.

My husband and I try to change subjects or even try to start safe conversations that have nothing to do with politics, trying to connect with people in my own family that have decided to label us in a group, even though we never did anything to be labeled this way.Plus there are so many lies bouncing around everywhere, who knows what the real truth is anymore.

My husband and I never talk politics, religion or any kind of subject that is touchy, What you read here in my blog is mostly what we are like. We invite others over, share pasta sauce and recipes, plus fun adventure stories with everyone, just like this blog site. Yet some people in our life (all family) just want to sneer, stare at their little screens, and gossip about others.

Why do we try so hard to include people that will always look down on us?. Why?, because we love them. It has everything to do with love, we all want or need to share that natural human emotion with others. Some of us continue trying to connect, to convince others that we all should get along. The whole world is a neighborhood, and we need to learn how to love our neighbors.

So here I was, thinking about the political tension and just had nothing in my heart to write that would bring joy to people who might stop by for a visit at Our Little red house on Christmas eve. Then my husband came home from the base with the Luke Thunderbolt newspaper and on the front page was an article and story I had heard before. That was when I knew I had something to share with you all.

The Christmas truce of 1914.

During World war 1 on Christmas eve, the German crown prince Wilhelm sent an opera singer to the front to entertain the solders, all the solders, from all sides. While they all sat in their trenches the Opera singer begin singing Silent Night,

Silent night, holy night

All is calm, all is bright

‘Round yon virgin Mother and child

Holy infant so tender and mild

Sleep in heavenly peace

Sleep in heavenly peace

Everyone in the trenches started listening and hearing these beautiful sounds and words being sung in a place where many horrors had taken place earlier. The opera singer kept on singing…

Silent night holy night!

Shepherds quake at the sight!

Glories stream from heaven afar;

Heavenly hosts sing Al-Le-Lu-Ia!

Christ the savior is born!

Christ the savior is born!

Then something started to happen. Soldiers started to come out from their trenches,arms laid aside, there was a ceasefire that took place while everyone celebrated Christ’s birth together. They exchanged gifts with each other, jams, cigarettes, candies and newspapers. They shared photos of love ones and exchanged addresses and promised to visit one another after the war was over. They sang more carols and played soccer that night.They even buried their dead together. For one night their hearts were filled with the love and peace that God always wanted for us all.It is what Christmas is really about.

The French, the Scottish, the German…all started singing together. The Scottish started playing their bag pipes. After the song silent night ended, all three sides applauded. Then the opera singer no longer frightened, stepped out into the field, into No man’s land and started singing O come, all ye Faithful in Latin.

dsc_8982.jpg

This story reminds me a little of what we are experiencing now with what is going on in the world with the political unrest. The divide is becoming bigger and bigger. In the past when world wars broke, at least families stuck together.

Neighbors were there to help one another. Most people tried to help one another. If a world war starts this time, will that be the same?. Will family and neighbors help each other out? With the epidemic of narcissism and materialism I fear that would  no longer be the case. What are we creating?, where will this lead us?, this divide?  We all hold the power in our hearts. God is always by our side. If we we have love in our hearts and only when we have love in our hearts is God able to be near us.

On this night of Christmas eve my gift for you is to know love, to know peace, even if for only one night to have our own truce around the world. How beautiful that would be.

I believe angles walked that war field that night so many years ago. That was a night we gave a gift back to Jesus. We gave a gift back to God for sending us his son. A son he sent us to teach us all about love and peace. To care for one another, to help each other, to never suffer. We can still can do it, we can still fill our hearts with thankfulness, love towards others and peace everywhere. Give these gifts back to God this night.

The peace that was shared among those solders that night on Christmas eve was short lived though. By New Years they were back at the war. In the end that war would claim more then 16 million lives. Is this a warning from the past to us all. What a beautiful ending it would have been if they had all decided that night to end the war, to continue hugging one another. There would have been no more hate because once they opened their hearts to love, there is never room for hate.

Silent night, holy night!

Son of God loves pure light

Radiant beams from Thy holy face

With the dawn of redeeming grace

Jesus Lord, at Thy birth

Jesus Lord, at Thy birth

Please do not let the tensions and politics turn your heart to bitterness and hate. Love is the most powerful weapon we all have and one we should use.

Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It does not dishonor others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres.

Love never fails. But where there are prophecies, they will cease; where there are tongues, they will be stilled; where there is knowledge, it will pass away. For we know in part and we prophesy in part, but when completeness comes, what is in part disappears. When I was a child, I talked like a child, I thought like a child, I reasoned like a child. When I became a man, I put the ways of childhood behind me. For now we see only a reflection as in a mirror; then we shall see face to face. Now I know in part; then I shall know fully, even as I am fully known.

And now these three remain: faith, hope and love. But the greatest of these is love.

1 Corinthians 13; 4-5

Merry Christmas, Happy Hanukkah, God Jul, Buon Natalie, Joyeux Noel,Frohliche Weihnachten, Shengdan jie Kuaile, Meli Keuliseumaseu, Glaedelig jul, Schastlivogo Rozhdestva, Eid milad saeid, Chag Sameach…and remember even with all our differences, we still, are all the same person.

Have a beautiful New Year and may only good things always come your way for 2020. Stay safe out there everyone and God bless you all from all of us at Our Little Red House.

Silent night was first performed on Christmas eve 1818 at St. Nicholas parish church in Oberndorf, Austria. For more info. On the Christmas truce of 1914 check out theJesusQuestion.org. It has been over a 100 years since World war one and over two hundred years since Silent night was composed.

I will be off until sometime in January but I have many posts to share with you all that are pre-scheduled. Thank you so much to everyone who stops by for a visit, thank you for your likes and comments too. Please stay safe out there and remember to always fill your hearts with love, even when you feel anger over coming you from the things surrounding your world. Love never fails, it will never loose.

Powerful, I wish as I am sure you do too that by reading about that evening when even the harshes of enemies came together for Christmas it would inspire others to do the same, sadly we are in a snowflake world as we call it in this home. Everyone is so delicate like a snowflake. I dont get how politics would ever effect people in their personal lives, we all have our beliefs in our home qnd while.hubz and i share simular ones that is not always, same with the kids, we have had some heated discussions but they all end with yaya goodnight..each side walking away being able to voice yet allowing the other side to do the same. If any of us think ill of the others opinions we dont let it dwell past that moment and never let it escalate past voicing our own opinions, while many times with passionate voices it does not go past that. We are not perfect but weather it is just how we are in this family or a Canadian thing, I wish the world would learn when to open their mouths and when to keep them shut.
    Christmas day is my fave not because of the gifts and time with family, all that is great but my fave part is waking early and looking out the window and having that feeling that the entire world is at a stand still. I know many do not celebrate, many are alone or sick or homeless and now adays its war as usual around the world even at xmas, but in that moment I live in that feeling how I have for many years, it helps to reclaim my faith in humanity, especially at xmas. MERRY XMAS LIL RED SEE YOU IN 2020

1. Not sure why but this comment went to my Spam at first. So I am just now commenting back. I hope you and your family are all well and having fun this holiday season. I wish my cousins were more like your family when it comes to politics but I fear it may have more to do with just their way of judging people different then them and not really anything to do with politics, it is going on in a terrible way in our country. Like I have written before I have never brought up politics with them before, that’s just my cousin’s husband and his hate for anything that looks and acts conservative. I mean they glare and sneer behind our backs when they think we are not paying attention. I don’t even talk about religion with them…so weird. They just have always judged us this way from the very beginning. Anyway, I too will keep hoping and praying that humanity starts coming together in a loving and kinder way. Lets hope 2020 starts turning around for everyone because we all need to get along. Another really icky thing about this whole thing is how we exchange gifts every Christmas with people that can’t even stand to be in the same room with us. We all do it of course to keep my aunt happy who is a very sweet lady but this year I didn’t want to exchange gifts and tried to get out of it but my aunt wouldn’t hear anything of it. So once again gifts were left, we didn’t see each other in person. just left with my aunt and then like always I email several times wishing them all a Merry Christmas and thanking them all for the gifts they gave and if I am lucky I will get a very short and cold reply back with no thank yous attached…never taught manners I guess. The whole things is toxic and awkward and just uncomfortable, but again, no one wants to hurt my aunt so we all continue playing this game. And my husband and I aren’t the bad guys in this picture, we have tried and tried to connect but they just sneer and judge when my aunt isn’t looking. I have a cousin who has nothing to do with them now or anyone in the family because of how they treat others, even calling me one day crying and saying over the phone “They are so cruel” and she was right all along. My aunt is so kind though and we all love her so much so I am stuck in the middle when it comes to pretending that the way they treat us doesn’t hurt because it does. I hope you all have a Happy New Year. I am going to try to stay off for a couple of weeks to catch up on life here at my house, it is kind of a mess and we still need to finish our bedroom. So if I don’t get back in awhile I am off catching up on things.

Happy NY lil red. We are doing ok xmas was at our house 4x over this year so I am tired. Tonight was spend quietly watching the count downs on tv jammies on by 1215 and bed by 1230. I have a few posts drafted but far from ready to go so time will tell when I get back to blogging. We have a concert with our youngest coming up in a few weeks that I need to reserve energy for. Want to organize my craft closet then relax as much as I can in January, last January was draining hoping for a better start this year. See you soon when your back online
        Take care and no worries about your family woes we all have “them” people in every family.

2. Also working on posts, but spent the day organizing my craft closet as well…so funny. My husband said January is the month to get rid of clutter. I am just on for a quick hello to comments and off again since being on this computer is a huge distraction. My house is a mess right now, you should see it. Hope this is a good year for us all, some ugly things going on out there in the world. We all need some Peace right now. Rest up and have a great time at your son’s concert.

3. Thank you, my Friend, for a beautiful post! These are my sentiments, too.

Merry Christmas!

1. Thank you Robin, you as well.

4. drjurisharma says:

Indeed, a beautiful post ! It touched my heart 🤗 Have a wonderful Christmas 🎄✨

Merry Christmas, Dear! Best wishes to you!

6. FromTheFringe says:

Merry Christmas and thank you for this beautiful post.

I feel exactly like this–from the judgment to the desire to have peace and love abound in this time of year instead of gossip and judgment. Though I am neither apolitical nor Christian, I wish an unreasonable wish–to be able to share with my very Christian, very conservative family how much I love them, to hear about their lives and see their children grow without feeling like it will be a literal battle. I hear your heart and couldn’t agree more emphatically, things are coming to a head, to a point where battle lines of all kinds are being drawn. My only hope is that they aren’t the lines we’re being led to believe. That it won’t be Christian vs. pagan, gay vs. straight, democrat vs. republican etc. rather love vs hate: those who can see and desire good for all against those who only want good for those who sycophanticly agree with them. That kind of hate and divisiveness has been defeated before and can be again.

Keep hope, and again, Merry Christmas.

1. So true, I also hope for the same. It should never be a divide based on our differences and love does conquer all what ever happens, at least we all know that. May you also have a Merry Christmas too.

7. Tanya says:

Merry Christmas & Happy New Year❤ Love and hugs⛄🎄🎁🕊

1. Thank you Tanya, love and hugs back and have a beautiful Christmas day as well.

8. Beautiful post and such a great verse as well! Amen! Thank you for the reminder for us all to love one another during this season and all others! Merry Christmas!

1. Thank you Lisa and Merry Christmas to you and your beautiful family as well.

9. Absolutely beautiful post!

1. Thank you so much, this one came straight from my heart. You and your family have a beautiful Christmas.

1. Merry Christmas, Cheri! Wishing you & yours, all the joy your heart can hold💕

10. When you wrote this, “Why do we try so hard to include people that will always look down on us?. Why?, because we love them.”…all I could think about was, for the same reason Jesus did 🙂 This is one of the most beautiful post I have ever read my fiend 🙂 I don’t get out much, by choice. I am like my Granny in that way. I prefer to stay home where all is safe, and within(mostly) my control 🙂 A recent outing, looking for furniture no less, the salesman went into a tirade about politics. I tried, several times, to change the subject. No success. I walked away leaving hubby to take the brunt of it. I was shocked, having trained sales people that one would act this way but it is every where. It does give me hope though. Because when we get the lowest is when we turn to God, and when we start doing that He will heal us 🙂 Oh, and you said, “Maybe someone will think I am not all there”…that is what the old evil one wants you to think. It will keep you from sharing such beautiful, God filled, helpful, much needed post like this one 🙂 I pray your holiday is filled with blessings 🙂

1. This is beautiful what you wrote, my eyes are tearing up some as I write this reply back to you. It is a special day and we will be having breakfast soon surrounded by the ones I love. So sorry you had to deal with the hate in that store, but also like you I also have hope. I feel very blessed that I can see the hate where there are some who can not. It scares me that they don’t even understand that it is exactly what is happening. I told my husband we see it because God is with us always in our hearts. Have a beautiful day with you family Margaret, I was just getting on to wish you a Merry Christmas personally but you beat me to it. Posting something every day makes it hard for me to visit everyone’s sites but yours is such an important sight. So later when everything is quiet I will feed my soul and read away…thank you for that Margaret. God bless you and your family.

11. Thank you for your beautiful post which warms my heart. The world needs more people like you.

1. What a beautiful comment, thank you for your kind words. Hope you and yours have a very Happy New Year.