Walking with the giants.

Lisa over at Boondock ramblings gave me this idea for a fun little post. She commented on one of my posts about how big the cacti were in one photo and that got me thinking that maybe there are others out there in the world that haven’t been exposed to cacti like someone who grew up in a Sonaran desert.

So I thought I share with you all some of the giants of our desert with the saguaro being the top dog of them all.

Here in Arizona we have all kinds of places to walk around to see these huge succulents up close. State parks, museums, and even garden nurseries.

Walks are especially fun when they come with interesting things to see.

Some of these cacti have very unusual tops to them.

Others just have unusual lines and textures to them.

Growing up surrounded by these wild looking plants I sometimes forget that not everyone is familiar with them. Like the fact that some cacti can be eaten.

The saguaro cacti has a fruit that can be made into a syrup. They also use seeds and pulp from the fruit to eat.

There are even some cacti and desert plants that are used for medicine. Careful with this one though, you have to know what to look for otherwise you could poison yourself. The same for food as well…know your plants.

You can build structures out of cacti too.

When I saw this, I told my husband this is our next DIY project.

Just a basic gazebo that blends in with it’s surroundings. So much better then the ones sold that fall apart at the end of the year. I am so frustrated with that. I would love to see a trend start where people locally make gazebos using products already here. This is a really nice gazebo, I mean, I think so.  The world is polluted enough with plastic waste and products that fall apart year after year.

It’s pretty amazing to me all that the Sonaran desert has to offer us.

Giant cacti and all those succulents are just a tiny bit of it.

Hope you all enjoyed this walk with me.

Happy exploring out there and have a beautiful Sunday where ever you may be at this moment out in the world. Stay safe, research other countries on this Corona virus and listen to what your gut is telling you about it…God gave us those gut feelings of ours for a reason.

There are a lot of lies going on to make us all feel like everything is under control, just research, research and wash and wash those hands. But don’t panic, remember that panic shuts down our brains.

Every human life is important, all lives matter. It is disheartening for me to see how ugly things are turning with this Corona Virus because some people did not start looking into plans when we first found out about it in this country two months ago.

Here in my city, where the first case started in our country, I am seeing things and hearing things that is worrying me some, and this is with my own eyes and ears. I will try to do a post on that at a later time. Today we have to clean up a mess in our house and start setting plans into place. Just please, research and listen to what your instincts are telling you.

1. Tanya says:

Thanks for sharing. I had no idea how big cactus could get. It’s important to follow your gut. I was getting sick over and over not realizing I was being poisoned by our furnace. We got a new one finally and I’m no longer getting sick. I kept saying my home is making me sick because I felt better when we were away camping for a few days. I thought we had mold or something.

1. You’re welcome Tanya. That is scary about your furnace. The water here in our city was making me sick. I kept buying bottled water until we got a filter. So many thing can poison us and we don’t even realize it. Glad you are better now.

2. Sheree says:

Truly amazing! I had no idea that cacti grew so large until I visited Atizona where you have some phenominal specimens.

1. Thank you Sheree, they do get pretty big.

3. Lyn Douglas says:

Good idea, use our gut feelings. The cacti are fantastic.

1. Thank you, they get pretty big over here. I am used to tiny ones in my garden.

4. Holly says:

What a fascinating post my friend! It’s really nice to see your part of the world. I truly can’t believe how large and tall some of those cacti are. WOW! They are such impressive plants. I also had no idea you could build furniture with them. I must say, that bench is simply beautiful!

I adore what you said about every person matters. Amen sis, amen! I am pleading the blood of Jesus’ protection over you, your family, your home and all of those you love – as well as your entire area. I pray that our awesome God would keep your safe, comforted and well in every way. I’m saddened too with how much madness has resulted from this Coronavirus. It has brought out the very worst in so many people. (sigh) Fear will do that to us, though!

All my love to you and yours. Thanks again for sharing your beautiful slice of paradise with us. You are such a kind soul! 🤗💕

1. Thank you Holly, I have been praying for everyone too. We also have family in northern Italy as well. Seems like we both got hit with the virus at the same time. Thanking God that no one I know has it, but there are people who do and they have families and people that love them. Sometimes people forget that when we hear these numbers coming out with who has this and who has passed on, that they were loved by someone, someone is hurting because they are gone. So I keep praying this ends soon, that the virus because weaker and weaker.

1. Whoops forgot to add that I am keeping you and yours in my prayers to and much love back as well. Stay safe out there but I know you will be because God is with you and you help so many people.

2. Holly says:

AMEN! I stand in agreement with you sister! 🙏🏼 That is my prayer too.

I love what you said about people forgetting that all of these ‘numbers’ were people’s lives. I have said this recently too and it’s important to remember because media can leave us so desensitized to the reality. People are grieving the loss of someone they love to a virus that is causing pure panic on this Earth at the moment.

I am still praying for you and all of your family, including those in Italy. So odd how it was where you are and in Italy at the same time. I pray everyone humbles themselves in prayer, asking our merciful God to intervene. He promised if we pray, He will hear and heal our land. 💕

3. Holly you are so kind, thank you for that. I think we were a little earlier with the first case then Italy, but Italy wasn’t too far behind us with their first case. Sometimes dates and numbers get jumbled in my brain, but I do know we had a case here where we live in our city and then we were contacting our family in Italy after hearing it hit them as well. It is odd how this virus wants to take some people out and others are okay but that is the nature of this beast. I hear there is a very low chance to contact it here in our city and if you do get it there is a low chance you will get very sick, so that is good. Also, there seems to be a different strain now here in the US, rumors going around that it mutated to weaker version…in some areas that is. God is with us, and it is in his hands. Thank you again Holly, always make me feel better.

5. ourcrossings says:

Wow, your photos look absolutely amazing – thanks for sharing. Having been brought up in northern hemisphere, the idea of cacti was very foreign to me and stil is as the only species I’ve seen so far in my life are those from the books! It must have been an amazing experience to live in the place where you are surrounded by cacti! Thanks for sharing and have a good day 😀 Aiva

1. Thank you, it is something amazing to be around. Growing up here we forget that these cacti aren’t everywhere. So happy you liked the photos. Have a great day too.

Oh my goodness! I would love to see all those beauties in person. I trip to the southwest is on my list of things I so want to do!
    Get comments on the “virus” – we have whole school systems shutting down and I have to admit, being chronically ill, it does freak me out. But, I keep trying to keep my thoughts from running away! 🙂

1. Me too Wendi, I have weak lungs and only half a thyroid after my surgery last year so I worry how I would handle a virus like that with asthma on top of everything else. Our dentist said he is leaving it in God’s hands. What can we do but try to keep it away. Our family in Italy is scared as well, they shut the whole country down. I will be sharing a post on what it is like here in Phoenix, what we are doing (I know what the government says but Italy started the way we are doing things now and look at where that got them…I am praying a lot). I have to be careful with my post though, can’t make it political. My intentions are not about hate but about how my family is handling this in the area we are in. It is now in our community and even though they say there are only 5 cases, I believe there are more based off of test results not being done so much. I am keeping you in my prayers Wendi, stay strong and have faith. Our dentist has the right attitude, it is in God’s hands now.

You, and your dentist is absolutely right, we are in God’s hands. I did read that Italy shut the country down and I give their leader a lot of credit, I can’t imagine what a hard decision that must have been but i believe the best one to make. You are right, the cases here are so much higher than reported. The whole thing is very frustrating……Thank you so very much for your prayers, I treasure them. Prayers sent up for you and your family this morning.

2. Thank you Wendi, and have a fun day today, we need to remember to appreciate and be thankful for each day, and do something we love everyday even if it is something small like read a good book, spend time with family, watch an old fashioned movies etc….you know, just have some fun to take out minds off worry.

🙂 thank you……..today I am ill in bed so I am resting and hoping whatever this is I recover quickly! 🙂 Thank you for being a light in this world.

4. I will say extra prayers for you, please get back to your old self soon.

7. This is so cool! I had no idea cacti could get so big, as I told you before, and I had forgot that fruit grew on them or what all they could be used for. I know I must have read about them before but I didn’t remember any of this. I made my 5-year old come over so I could show her your photos and teach her about cactus and cacti. She sat next to be for half of it, sounding very engaged (“Oh. Wow. That’s very interesting.”) and then she said “May I leave now?” half way through. Lol. She cracks me up. Anyhow, thank you for all the information and the awesome photos!

1. So cute, my kids are all grown now and I still try to get them interested in plants but they aren’t so interested. My son helps me now that he is studying biology. He will ask me about certain plants and I will share the little bit of information I know. That was sweet though that you tried to share something with your daughter. There is a really cute coloring book out there about desert animals and plants from our area, she might like that. I forget the name but I will look through my book shelf tomorrow to see if I can find it. Thank you Lisa, so glad you liked this post.

8. cheriewhite says:

Wow! Thank you for sharing these beautiful pics! I never thought cacti could grow to be so huge! And I didn’t know that you could make syrups and medicines out of them. No matter how old you get, you learn something new every day.

1. Thank you, so happy you learned some new info. Later I hope to share some cactus tacos I made for the family. None of us are ever too old to learn something new.