Dollar day do overs-pretty mugs for garden herbs

Happy St. Patrick’s Day everyone.

St. Patrick’s Day blessings to you all.

Wishing you…

A heart free of sadness,

A mind free of worries,

A life full of gladness,

A body free of illness, and

A spirit full of God’s blessings.

Have a blessed St. Patrick’s Day!

Well, you all know I have not been out shopping a bunch. Cutting my contact back as much as possible. But I still have my box of dollar day items to repurpose from my earlier shopping trips.

So I thought it would be nice to share a fun way to use those pretty mugs in all those second hand shops we see all the time. You all know what I am talking about. There are always piles of them in thrift stores. Some of them are worth some money too, well, except now that is, for awhile at least. Most people now are investing in toilet paper…who knew. That one was a shock to me. I think there is a woman out there that is making little toilet paper earrings and selling them. They are actually kind of cute.

Most of the time with these pretty vintage mugs I just use them in my house. Sometimes though I use them as pretty packaging for gifts. This saves on wrapping paper and paper bags. You can add just about anything to these little mugs, as long as it is small enough. Jewelry, candy, tea, a pretty sachet, a silk scarf, miniature toys, tiny books. Then add a little tissue and a pretty bow with a hand made card. And you know what my favorite part is?… the fact that these little mugs don’t end up in the city dump.

When giving a gift I always try to combine something from nature. In the city here that would be something from my garden and up north at Our Little Red House it would probably include some pretty wildflowers or even some wild mint, or a mug full of wild blackberries. This vintage mug was perfect for a bundle of mint.  I tied the bundle with a lace ribbon. Whoops, for got to add something…please consult with your doctor when using herbs, sometimes herbs cause allergies.

I thought the couple on it was so cute. Add a handmade gift card along with a printed piece of paper of all the benefits and ways to use mint. This will encourage the one getting the gift to grow some mint themselves. Even if in a big city, a few little pots out by the door are enough to grow a few things.

This red vintage mug had a really unusual design to it. The color was so bright. I added aloe to this one. We all know how great Aloe Vera is. Right now they are using Aloe gel along with alcohol as a hand sanitizer because of the shortage around our country.

This mug reminds me of some art I have seen in our city museum here.

There was a lot of detail to it.

I especially love the little birds on it. I have a weakness for bird decor. The combination of the white and blue was so pretty.

I added some Rosemary and Lavender bundles to this mug. I tied these bundles with twine.

Lavender is a great fragrance to help calm nerves. It helps with anxiety disorders and we all could use something that helps with anxiety right now around the world.

On your gift tags add this tip for your rosemary bundles:

Clip fresh rosemary leaves from twigs and add to ice trays then feel with water and freeze. Out them into a little bag in the freezer, the use them later for soups and stews.

This tip came from Molly at  mollygreen.com/blog/twenty-ways-to-use-rosemary/

I was amazed at all the benefits of rosemary. We use it on chicken with lemons. I also make a foot soak with fresh rosemary clippings.

This mug was so light and so dainty when I picked it up.

I thought with the green in it, Parsley was the herb for it.

When I looked on the bottom I noticed it was stamped bone chine.

I loved it, it almost seem to have a soft glow about it.

I decided to add parsley to this one. When you are using mugs for garden herb bouquets you will get a feel for what herb to add to each mug based off of it’s design. This one looked like it would mix well with parsley.

It is very relaxing clipping herbs out in the garden.

Here is a recipe to add to a gift card. Oh, and get creative with the cards you make too. Use recycled materials and decoupage scrap fabrics or watercolor pretty designs to card stock. For your parsley mug add this recipe to it:

Parcel face mask.

A bundle of parsley, soak in warm water then smash leaves.

Add 2 tsp of honey and a I tsp. of lemon juice. Skip the lemon juice of you have sensitive and dry skin. Leave on for 10-15 minutes 2-3x a week.

Parsley helps with acne and black heads. It has so many benefits.

My husband made me this garden pallet to grow things in. It is pretty old so it is a little beat up. I painted areas with chalk board paint to write the different plants growing in it.

I tend to go for pretty and soft floral mugs when out second hand shopping. The mugs can range in price from anywhere to .69 cents to a couple of dollars, even cheaper if you shop on half off days. Sometimes I will pick up silly mugs too like this owl down below.

He was so cute. This mug was all succulent to me. How pretty would this be on a desk or in a bedroom.

Presenting a gift in a beautiful way makes it that much more special.

Hope you all liked this months dollar day do over. What items would you fill your mugs with and do you have a favorite from this bunch that I did. Have fun out there second hand shopping. Stay safe out there and happy shopping adventures.

1. Tanya says:

That’s a beautiful project to do in the garden. I love the mug with parsley. Also, after searching far and wide we finally found toilet paper. We were almost out. That’s interesting someone is making earrings with it. Have a happy St Patrick’s Day.

1. Thanks Tanya, so glad you found toilet paper too. We found some at a Big Lots and another grocery store here in the city that is not as popular as some of those other stores. It amazes me how everyone goes to those places first, those long lines I see on the news look stressful. When I was a kid and we ran out of toilet paper my dad told us kids to use newspaper (I know yucky) we lived out in the middle of nowhere by a big mountain so it was not like no days with stores on every corner.

1. Tanya says:

I read about using newspaper. I told my hubby that we’d have to use that. 🙂

2. I remember it was back in the 80’s and we would run out sometimes so we had to wait until we could get to a store, meanwhile my dad went and got two pieces of newspaper and tore them in half and said you rub the paper together to make it soft. I laughed but he was serious. When he was a kid they used catalogs and phone books, just tearing out the pages of them. So embarrassing I thought, no way do I want my friends coming over from school and having to use newspaper. This is life and sometimes life is not all packaged up and pretty. In Italy, at some of the public restrooms you had to pay to get into them and also pay for toilet paper, like a couple squares. I was with my mother-in-law (she is from norther Italy) when that happened and I had never been anywhere where they charged for toilet paper by the square. I always wondered why she always had loose rolls of toilet paper in her guest bathroom like she rolled it on herself. Think when she got here to America she was shocked to see free toilet paper in all our public bathrooms and rolled a little extra to take home. She grew up during World War two so she knows what life is really like.

3. Tanya says:

Wow that is so interesting about the restrooms in Italy. I am really thankful for having toilet paper now.

4. You are lucky you found some, today when we went out shopping there wasn’t any anywhere. We went to get chicken food (out) white vinegar (out) and flour and sugar since we make our own breads and sweets, they had bags of that. The shelves are getting emptier and emptier. We will head back to the feed store tomorrow because they said they were getting some new shipments in. We are getting up early in the morning to drive outside the city for the vinegar at another store, that is if they have it. When I called and called they never answered and this a 24/7 store we are talking about. I don’t know if they are still open that long since the Coronavirus and that is why I was calling, pretty far drive for getting there and everything is gone…hope for the best, we will see tomorrow.

I love your mini garden!

3. Liz says:

That owl mug is fun. I’ve not seen anything like that one before. 🙂

4. My dad likes to put herbs or flowers in little mugs like this too. He either places it on the kitchen table or gives them away as gifts. He grows his own herbs on his front deck, including rosemary, thyme and basil.

1. I bet I would like your dad, he sounds nice. I always used mugs for pencils and paint brushes all through my life. Just being creative with storage ideas. Dried herbs are so expensive I have noticed, at least lately that is. I am just used to them always being around I guess. My grandma always had mint growing by her leaking faucets outside.

1. I forgot to mention he also grows mint and dill and makes homemade pickles, of sorts. Just cut up cucumbers in vinegar and fresh dill. Yes, I think you and my dad would hit off, based on what I read on your blog. I think he’d love it out there too because he loves the heat. The herbs are expensive when dried! It’s crazy.

2. We were at the store today to buy some spices like onions. My mother-in-law uses a lot of onions in her pasta. The were large bottles but like maybe 16oz. but I could be wrong, anyway they wanted $8 and up to $17 for different spices. I went to the dollar store instead and picked up a couple small bottles for .99 cents. It is getting weird out there. I can not believe how some people are acting and frankly it is worrisome. That is so smart of your dad, growing herbs like that. My husband is actually the best when it comes to the plants but we both contribute. You have great parents there and I always love reading about how you and your mom are in a book club together, reading the same books, so cute.

your mugs are absolutely adorable and adding herbs to them makes them extra special. thank you for sharing.

1. You’re welcome, and best part is how cheap they are. After you take the little gifts out of them ,you can use them to drink from, so no waste.

6. Holly says:

I am in love with what you’ve done to these adorable mugs! Your mind is one creatively splendid place, you know that? 🙂 It is so much fun to come and read your posts!

It’s hard to pick a favorite of these but I am terribly partial to owls. They are creatures I’m particularly drawn to. I’ve got an owl coffee mug that reminds me very much of your sweet find! ♥

It’s such a beautiful idea to clip fresh herbs as well and use these as gifts. Speaking of herbs – I really like the garden pallet your hubby made you with the chalkboard. What a neat idea!

As always, your posts have warmed my heart. Sending lots of love your way and praying your days are blessed and bright! 🙏🏼

1. Thank you Holly, you always write the sweetest comments. Hope you all are well too and I am still and always will keep you all over there in my prayers.

7. masgautsen says:

Happy Paddy’s day

8. Thanks for the information. Keep posting such amazing things. Keep posting such things. Great Share!

9. Bettie G says:

Such pretty ideas! I used to give mugs with plants in them as gifts also. But I love your finds here–so unusual! I’m glad I came over here from Lisa’s mention of your post today. Thank you for brightening up my evening. Blessings to you!

1. Awww, thank you so much Bettie, so nice that you stopped by. My name is Cheri. God bless you and your love ones as well and please stay safe out there.