Going way back in the archives for this one. I am still working on masks so I have not been doing my regular DIY’s each month. I had a whole list of things prepared too. I only remembered to take a before photo of this older project of mine, no during photos, so all you will see is the before and after.
I picked this old recipe box up at a second hand shop up north on one of our trips to Our Little Red House.
I brought it back to the city with me and repurposed it as a mini red house storage box for the kids room up north when they were little. I had coloring pages, crayons and card games stored in it.
On the front I used chalk paint so they could write and draw pictures on it. It was stored in their bedroom up north.
Eventually when the kids grew up, it went into the China cabinet that I turned into a library. It still has coloring pages and crayons in it just in case someone gets the urge to color I suppose.
When my children got older we donated most of the toys we had up there to kids in town or to the local thrift shop. All the money from the thrift shop goes to the medical center in town. It’s only opened a couple days a week when a Physician’s assistant from another town comes down to check on people there. It’s too small of a town to have it’s own doctor. If you get really sick in town, you have to have the emergency helicopter come to take you to a hospital. Everyone up in that town usually has helicopter insurance, otherwise it can cost thousands of dollars to use the helicopter. Anyway, hope you all liked this old project from the past. So simple, just repaint and decorate.
You choose Dollar Day do over.
Because I wasn’t able to do a dollar day do over this month I thought it would be fun to involve you all with my next project I choose. I have a huge plastic bin of projects to redo but first I want to finish our bedroom so I am working on that. So here’s the idea, you guys pick what next month’s Dollar Day Do Over will be by voting from the list below. Just leave your pick in the comments and the most votes will be July’s repurposed item for the month. Eventually I would like to do something with all of these things but for now you guys pick the next project.
- This topiary tree. It was sitting on a thrift store shelf all beaten up and sad looking. It really needs a new look. Just another item saved from the dump.
- An old wooden tool box. One day visiting my mother-in-law I saw this tucked in the far corner of her garage. I love old tool boxes, they are perfect for so many things. It too was wasting away and had seen better days. She was very happy to get rid of it, trying to organize her life and get rid of clutter as well.
- An empty Altoids box. My son gave me this. He was like “ Mom, I know you like boxes, you want this one.” and I of course said yes. I wonder of this is why my kids call me a Hippy Nerd Mom.
- This empty miniature M&M container.
- Dollar store Christmas toy. It was .25 cents. Don’t you just love those after holiday sales?.
- Dollar store Christmas wall plaque, again, only cost a quarter.
Okay, that’s it. Let me know what you want me to recreate. I will be re-posting these items again for more votes and see what I come up with at the end of the month and let you all know which item is the winner in my monthly updates post. Happy re purposing everyone.
Copyright Our Little Red House 2020 © Do not use photos without written consent from the author.