DIY little sailboat remake

Happy 4th of July everyone.

If any of you have more then one child then you will understand this next  DIY project. Sometimes when you buy summer pool toys you end up with many that are the same colors and designs. If you have more then one child they sometimes get upset trying to decide which toy is theirs. To keep the peace between siblings you have to write their names on their toys. Well, why not take it a little farther and recreate the toys you purchase. This way each child’s toy is unique. Bonus points for getting them involved too. When they help design their little creations what ever it may be it built confidence in them. You guys already know that of course. We need more confident and happy children out there in the world, that way when they grow up they will be strong empathetic humans.

This little sailboat came in one of those mesh bags that are everywhere during the summer months. They had these same toys when I was a child. You can find them anywhere but my favorite places were always by the beaches. Every summer when I see them show up on the shelves I think of camping trips, swimming parties and days spent at Arizona lakes.

The colors are odd to me. Guess I am a snob when it comes to colors. I tend to stick with really bright colors.

For added detail add some fabric to the sails. I decoupaged fabric on, then covered that with E600 which is water proof. You can skip the E600 glue if you do not have any because these boats held together without it as well.

In our house my husband and daughter love to watch America’s cup. Sadly with the Red Monster out most sporting events have been canceled. Have your own America’s cup out in your pool with family. Create and design your ships and race away. Hopefully your races come with lots of giggles too.

These toy boats are easy to take apart and redo.

They remind me of Legos. They just pop apart. You will need spray paint that adheres to plastics. Have a table full of different colored sailboat parts in baskets along with a variety of fabric scraps for the sails, then have everyone put the boats back together again. A fun craft project to keep everyone busy during the summer. You don’t need a huge pool, even a small pool or bathtub is a fun place for water play activities.

Happy crafting everyone and have a very Happy 4th of July,

1. Liz says:

The improvement made on this boat, is much better than it was before. 🙂

Super cute! I love the colorful stripes!

1. Thank you Mel, I like the colorful side too.

3. Yes! Yours are so much cuter!

1. Thank you, they are so easy to redo. The little boats were at the 99 cent store, not sure if you have one in your area. When our neighbor was coming over to teach her 3 year old how to swim a couple weeks ago I picked up some pool toys for them. My kids are all grown so it was fun buying pool toys again.

4. Hope you had a happy 4th of July despite the Red Monster !
    Love your idea and had to laugh….E600….the glue for every DIYer 😉

Take care and stay safe!! Hope your cousin is better ?!

1. She texted my daughter today and she wished us all a Happy 4th so I will take that as a good sign that she is okay enough to communicate. I told her to rest for now so I am not disturbing her. Her husband is a paramedic so he will keep a close eye on his family. He works for the fire department and they said they tested them and about 90% came back positive. He was very sick when this whole thing started back a couple months ago. It was his stomach though, like a really bad stomach flu with lots of aches all over his body. At one point he told my cousin he may have to go to the hospital. It was bad for one day then lasted about three days with soreness for awhile. He did not know what it was. They were not testing at the time and no one was wearing masks or knew how serious this was because it was in the early stages of the virus. When he was sick he went down to their basement rooms and stayed there. It has it’s own bathroom and everything. They have a two story home. My cousin and their youngest son who is 10 stayed upstairs away from him.

5. Gersom Clark says:

Nostalgic, Cheri! You like to customize toy collectibles too! Happy 4th of July!🎉💥💥🎊🍾

1. So fun making something unique and yours. Thank you.

6. superseahorse says:

Woah, the sailboats are so cute and affordable

7. Gersom Clark says:

You are right, Cheri, customizing makes your design unique and it is fun to do especially in painting and adding parts using (epoxy) clay.

8. Camie says:

These are soooo cute!

1. Camie says:

You’re welcome!

9. Leif Price says:

Awesome! They’re super cute and affordable! BTW, hope you had a happy 4th of July!

10. Chandra Lynn says:

Another cute project! We only have one kid, so we didn’t have the “which toy belongs to whom” issue, but we still had duplicates and sometimes triplicates of certain toys. Seriously, like a billion bath toys, a zillion batman figures, a gazillion spider man figures, and we won’t even mention the tiny hot wheels cars!

1. Sounds like our house. Star wars, legos, superheros and tons and ton of hot wheels.

11. Adorable 🙂 ⛵ ⚓ xo

12. Msdedeng says:

This is so cool; a class project right here 🙂

1. Thank you, the kids will have fun designing their own sailboats. There also plenty of fabric scraps around too.