DIY sewing corner…preparing pin cushions.

“ Sewing mends the soul.”

Alright, here is another confession of mine…I LOVE pincushions as much as baskets. And you all know how much I love baskets. I have to be extra careful when out shopping that I don’t over do things and come home with bags of pincushions. Oh, and throw in the fact, that I also love sewing up my own little cushion creations.

I have flower pin cushions.

Apples. Hint…fabric apples are great gifts for all those teachers in your life. Never too late to start making gifts for the holidays.

Tomatoes. Some information on tomato cushions: Way back in the day they used to gift new home owners with tomatoes to ward off bad things. Now, what those bad things were, I don’t know. Maybe a ghost hanging out in the house or maybe jealousy and ill will towards the new home owners and their happiness in owning a home, who even knows. But tomatoes were given as a symbol to ward that negative away. Because there were seasons when tomatoes were hard to find they resorted to making fabric ones to give out instead. The little strawberry that came with it was for the needles . Just poke your needles in the strawberries every now and then to keep them sharp. I still have a couple of my Nana’s tomato pincushions in my collection.

One tiny little lady bug.There is a button on it’s back, that’s how small this lady bug pin cushion is.

The lady bugs some of my followers may remember from an older dollar day do over project where I took apart an old coat and made lady bug bean bags. I used tiny plastic pellets though so they can be used as pin cushions too.

A bunch of tiny felt hearts can be made into pin cushions.

Like this adorable super tiny heart pin cushion.

A giant pumpkin. Fall is here, perfect time to make fabric pumpkins.

And look at what this was turned into…

These. Bonus points for the storage these pin cushions come with. One container was an old spice container.

These would be great heart gifts (handmade gifts) to give out for the holidays. A mini sewing kit in a container with a pretty pin cushion on top.

I even sew up my own tomatoes.

This old necklace from what looks like the 80’s (man do I miss the 80’s in this year of 2020) was used to make chubby doll pin cushions.

Just sew up two circles, stuff and sew shut. My favorite stitches are the back stitch when stictching together by hand and whip stitch to sew shut. Use small lids from jars for your patterns and templates.

Starting from the middle of your circle, using a long needle (doll needles work best) start sewing around your circle leaving a space about 1/2 apart until you get around whole circle.

It should look like a flower. Sew a large and small pincushion. Sew the smaller one to the larger cushion to create the doll bodies.

Decorate your chunky beads with whimsical faces, then glue on top of your pin cushion bodies.

After adding hair, felt arms and accessories they should look like this. I think these chubby little cushions are so cute.

I also have many pin cushions that I have bought like this adorable little dog.

A crochet cutie. So many colors to this one.

And a garden gnome.

You can even use some fabric toys as giant pincushions.

It is endless with what you can use to organize your sewing corner. Using items I already had on hand, and making items myself saved me so much money. I can’t wait to show you all how the shutters turned out. A very colorful wall unit to organize my sewing supplies.

Even though it was hard having to deal with lock down rules and just the world we are all dealing with, in the end I learn what was really important, which is spending time with family. And in the process I was able to use what I had around my home to make one adorable little sewing corner. Next part will be on small storage containers you all may have around the house. This pin cushion post was such a fun one for me to share with you guys. Happy crafting everyone and please stay safe. Keep the world in your prayers. Pray for the fires to end here in my country, the hate, the lies, the corruption, you all know what I am writing here. Please send out well wishes and prayers that things start turning around for the better.Please pray for my cousin’s grand daughter, she tested positive for the Red Monster. Also the friend of mine who made that little box of blessings I share with you all, needs everyone’s prayers and well wishes for her son. He will be traveling back to live in Arizona and will be passing through states with the fires. God bless you all from all of us at Our Little Red House.

Copyright Our Little Red House © 2020 Do not use photos without written consent of the author.

1. Liz says:

May everyone be safe, be well and be healthy. X

1. Thank you Liz, have a beautiful day over there.

1. Liz says:

Thank you. It’s been a beautiful day here.
        Doing some baking this evening. Cookies, that I have not made before. I am looking forward to trying them, but that will be tomorrow, as I won’t be long in bed when last tray comes out of the oven.

2. sofia says:

Cute collection

3. JOY journal says:

Sooooo cute! Or, maybe sew cute?

1. Thank you. I love the play on words, very creative. That would be a great title for a sewing posts or weekly post section. You are an artist with words so I would expect that from you…so clever.

4. Bee says:

Wonderful place I love all the creativity, and the beautiful pin cushions. My mother had the little tomato pin cushions nd she was an amazing seamstress! Now I have stepped gracefully into that mother/grandmother legacy. Sewing on my mothers Bernina and making little baby shoes. I love this DIY corner.

1. Thank you Bee, I know I would have really liked your mom. I love those creative types, always have. I have many happy memories with my two grandmas. I bet your hand made items are beautiful too, so cute little baby items. I have the last post coming up in a couple days where I show you all the finished sewing corner. I tend to write very long posts and this project had so much detail I wanted to share with everyone. I had fun using my house like a store and shopping for items I already had here. Lock downs can be so scary. This sewing project really helped take my mind off of what was happening out there. Pretty scary living during a pandemic time. Stay safe and happy creating all those adorable items of yours.

1. Bee says:

Thank you for keeping such beauty through your page and words. The world has a lot of ugliness its refreshing to see people like you sharing an amazing art in sewing and crafts. I hope to share that beauty too through my. Little baby shoes,music and art. 😇

2. Awww…you are too sweet, thank you. There are good people out there, we just have to remember to be one ourselves too, spreading cheer and kindness where ever we can.

3. Bee says:

Agreed😇

5. How cute! Love the little girl! I’ve received a couple of little homemade pin cushions that are adorable. I plan on making some for gifts when we finish the refurbishing on the house that was desperately needed.

1. Thank you Robin, don’t you just wish we had more time and energy to get everything done. I still haven’t started on my hand made Christmas gifts yet.

6. Chandra Lynn says:

Too much cuteness here. I’m finding it difficult to return to my regular life. 😂

1. So sweet, thank you, and they are so easy to make. I am so bad when I am out in the world shopping because when ever I come across pin cushions I want to buy them all.