Shopping trip to an Arizona art store.

“When you buy from a small business, you are not helping a CEO buy a third vacation home. You are helping a little girl get dance lessons, a little boy get his team jersey, a mom put food on the table, a dad pay a mortgage or a student pay for college.”

Unknown

Time for some small business praise. We don’t get out that much anymore, trying to stay safe. When we do go out shopping on special occasions, they are like little treats to ourselves, so we try to make sure it counts. I am a big supporter of small businesses. This shopping trip I am sharing with you all today is at an art store that has been here in Arizona for over 60 years.

The Arizona art supply store first started out in one aisle in a hardware store. The demand for art supplies grew so fast that the owners ended up closing the hardware store and opening an art store instead. It has been in business since 1951. There are many people that move to Arizona and work as artists here.

There’re two locations, one in Tucson and one in Phoenix. With the Phoenix store being the largest supplier of art supplies in the southwest. They closed two of their stores recently when their leases were up. I don’t know if this has anything to do with this year of 2020 and the Red Monster, but sadly two stores closed. Could be other reasons too. They don’t teach art like they used to in Public run schools, they also don’t encourage entrepreneurship either…at least not in the city run public schools my children attended before we decided to home school them. This is why more and more families have woken up to what is happening and are now homeschooling or finding charter and private schools to make up for what is happening to our children in some public schools. Less art, less people and future generations creating art…this lessons the demand for these wonderful supplies.

It is so fun visiting art stores.

So many colorful pens, paints and inks.

I have used these inks here for some of my mosaics.

Everyone in the family picked out a pile of supplies to take back home to create with.

My husband purchased a kit on turning digital negatives into contact printing on T’shirts or anything else. Sounds complicated to me but I can’t wait to see what he comes up with.

I purchased a fine tip paintbrush, clay, and some watercolor paper.

I was looking for a special kind of crepe paper that is made in Italy but they didn’t have that type but they had every other type of paper.

I mean, every kind of paper you can think of, just not the one I wanted. Might have to order that online.

My son bought drawing pencils and a pack of sketching paper. He actually bought a bunch of items, mostly colored pencils and some rulers. He will be sketching and drawing a lot for his biology classes.

My daughter is really into calligraphy now. She bought all kinds of ink, pens, paper and colorful pens.

I love the art store. Walking down the isles and looking at all those empty canvases that will be future pieces of beautiful creations.

This is on my wish list, an easel . How fun it would be to set this up outside up north where there is so much nature to draw and paint. I can’t paint like the experts but like they say practice makes perfect. Wait, is that what they say. Well, anyway, it would still be fun to find a nice quiet place by the creek up north to set one of these up and have fun water coloring wildflowers or something. I know the perfect spot too. A place where there are wild blackberries everywhere next to a beautiful little creek.

Hope you all enjoyed this shopping trip with me. Remember, encourage those little ones to be creative, they will end up being the leaders, healers and inventors of the future. Happy shopping adventure yourself. Stay safe out there and God Bless you all.

Copyright Our Little Red House 2020 © Do not use photos without written consent of the author

1. Gersom Clark says:

Wow, all those paints and pens are overwhelming, Cheri, not just in numbers but also on color options. The brushes too are interesting.

1. You should see all the paper patterns they had available as well. They had paper made with rose petals and from tree bark too.

1. Gersom Clark says:

That gives contours if it will be used as canvass for watercolor. I’m impressed by their stocks. I think I’m encouraged again by your post to paint not just in canvass but on objects, thank you Cheri! Using colored permanent pens, I colored Lego figures and using acrylic paint, I customized action figures back then.

2. Shelly says:

I’d put our life savings a risk in a place like this. Am headed to Phoenix to visit our daughter later this month … definitely will have to put this on our list of things to do. Timely post for sure!

1. Thank you, perfect time to visit here in the city too because our temps are cooling down. Mostly everything is open, just have to wear masks inside. I forgot to put a masks on in one store and no one said anything. I went back to the truck to get it when I discovered I wasn’t wearing one. Most people laughed when I discovered I forgot the mask.

1. That was in response to Shelly. But I forget my mask sometimes too and have to go back out to the truck for it. Started wearing gaiters so I wouldn’t have to make the walk of shame. 😂

2. It is so hard to get used to and weird.

3. I would thoroughly enjoy a trip to that art store, it’s awesome.

1. Thank you, lots of fun there. They have classes too, well, before the virus that is.

4. Sheree says:

Sounds a wonderful store

1. I want to buy everything, not an easy store to walk away empty handed.

1. Sheree says:

I can relate to that

5. Sue says:

Wow that is a fab art store, I would spend a fortune there!

1. That is so easy to do, best to go to this store with a list.

1. Sue says:

I totally agree 🙂

6. I love the way they display things! The colors are beautiful

1. It is hard to walk into this store without wanting to buy everything.

This place is a heaven to me 😍

1. It would be perfect for you Mel. All those beautiful paintings and drawings you share with us, this is the place to get supplies for that.

8. Wow, that is one beautiful art store. I live in a very small rural town in Ontario, Canada. I don’t have access to such a beautiful store! I would be spending a fortune in a place such a this ❤

1. It is so easy to over spend in this store. We only go maybe twice a year. I remember as a kid getting a box of oil pastels and it was such a fun gift. Our neighbor was a butcher at a grocery store so he would bring home rolls of white paper for his kids and me and my sister to color on. He also went out and bought oil pastels to use instead of crayons. That was the first time I ever tried oil crayons (what I called them). They are still pretty cheap, only costing about a couple dollars a box at the most. This art store has a whole shelf of oil pastels to choose from.

1. I know. I was just thinking that when I wrote up the post. It is so fun visiting this store.