DIY- Frugal fall centerpiece for under $5

SQDSC_6783

My son picked this basket up for me second hand shopping (so proud, he knows his mom) and I new exactly what I was going to do with it…add Fall flowers.

I was given a batch of faux flowers from a relative and also found a bag of pumpkins second hand for a couple dollars a few weeks ago so I had all my supplies.

SQDSC_6788.JPG

Now if you were to go out and buy the supplies to keep the cost down always shop second hand. You can hit church sales, yard sales or thrift shops. Make sure to have a budget and stick to it. Tell yourself you have a certain amount to work with and hunt around to stay within that budget. It is fun accomplishing that goal when you are trying to be frugal. Just trying to do my part in keeping everyone out of dept which can lead to stress, then health issues. Lets not forget it isn’t good for our planet either. Do we really need all the things we think we do?

SQDSC_6697.JPG

It would be very easy to go out in the world and use credit to get things like Holiday decorations but it isn’t really necessary with all the stuff we have available in this world now. The planet will thank you for up-cycling the forgotten items.

If you have a hard time finding faux flowers to decorate with, try the dollar stores, or better yet add some live plants to a basket that you already have out in your garden. If you don’t have a garden ask a friendly neighbor if there are any clippings from their gardens you can have…get creative with being frugal.

In our neighborhood we give each other eggs, plants, seeds, food, magazines, old craft supplies etc…we usually ask our neighbors first if they want something before we donate anything.

Once you get your basket and supplies, start clipping your flowers to add to Styrofoam in center of basket.

Make sure to arrange evenly around basket, working a little at a time on each area and stepping back to see if everything balances out nicely.

The lavender vines I added to my basket came from a small wreath I bought at the dollar store. I removed the flowers from the wreath and added them to my centerpiece. The wreath I will use later for a Christmas wreath to give away, they make great gifts.

SQDSC_6791.JPG

Okay here it is… the finished product.

SQDSC_6789.JPG

It is sitting on a table my husband and son just finished. The table is now in our kitchen as an island. Another up-cycle item that was being tossed on pick up day in our city. All it needed was a table top and a pretty re-make. They spent a long time sanding the top and bottom before sealing it.

DSC_1906.JPG

It came out really nice and now my husband and son have a pasta table to make their homemade pastas on and I have a great table to add my pretty Fall centerpiece to.

SQDSC_6775.JPG

Happy hunting everyone, hope you have a fun time finding supplies for a beautiful centerpiece yourself.

SQDSC_6692.JPG

Hope you all liked this repost from the past. As always, been super busy this year and haven’t had a whole lot of time to work on my favorite types of posts which are always my DIY’s. I love doing those. I will be sharing some older DIY posts with you all this week. For Christmas I will have a whole month of fun projects for you all, still need to write that up. A blogmas month of holiday adventures.

Wonderful centerpiece, it goes really great with your table!

2. You are very creative. These are beautiful. Happy Thanksgiving to you and your family!

3. You couldn’t have gone into any store and found a centerpiece that beautiful! It is a great addition. Well done 🙂

1. Wow, that just made my day…thank you for that beautiful compliment. It is time to work on the Christmas arrangements now. Just git home from a trip up north to Our Little Red House. We spent Thanksgiving up there. It is so beautiful out in woods and that valley up there. Hope you and your family had a wonderful Thanksgiving as well.

1. Awwww that makes me happy 🙂 Our thanksgiving was wonderful 🙂

4. ourcrossings says:

That’s a beautiful basket and a centerpiece. You can easily change the content of it as the seasons come and go. Thanks for sharing and have a good day 😀 Aiva

1. Thank you Aiva and your welcome too. I love that idea of switching it up for the holidays.

wow! a beautifully created centerpiece on a stunning table………bravo to your precious family.

1. Thank you Wendi, just trying to add a little Fall cheer for you all. I also love Fall wreaths. I haven’t had time to visit sites this past week, tried to take a couple weeks off but we are back in the city as you know and I have more time to check messages now. As always , there are too many things to work on, need to lighten the load I guess.

🙂 there is always more to do then time, isn’t there! 🙂 I would so love to visit your home and see all the beauty you have created………..

2. You are always so sweet, thank you. Right now it is a mess. Laundry piled up everywhere and we still need to unpack from up north. I have stuffing and fabric out to make curtains and pillows for some Ikea bed frames we just bought. It is a huge mess. Oh, and don’t even get me started on the kitchen and bathrooms…just a huge mess. But a home that is too clean means someone isn’t having fun and living.

🙂 then my home is an absolute blast to live in! 🙂 I try, but my oh my……..I can’t keep up.

4. I bet it is. If a home is too clean then we are afraid to mess things up and what fun is that? Messy homes ate fun homes. Like a home full of confetti I say. I do try to keeps things organized though because I hate the stress of not being able to finds things when I want.

🙂 I grew up like that……..so clean you could literally eat off the bathroom floor. my mom raked all the carpets. It was terrible……..being able to create and make messes is such an important part of living. 🙂

6. I grew up in a home like that too. My mom would stress every time company would come over. I always struggled in school and there were times my mother would let me stay home if I cleaned the house for her. I did go on to graduate high school, the only one in my immediate family who would do that. My sister dropped out at 15, but eventually I encouraged her to get her GED and also hired her at the retail store I managed. When I turned 18 I left home and moved in with an aunt for awhile, went to Jr. college at night and worked during the day. I mostly studied art and business but wanted to be a child psychologist. Did not get along with my psychologist instructor so I dropped out of that, to eventually drop out of college and concentrated on retail. My cousin also dropped from psychology and most of the instructors class that didn’t drop early would eventually go on to fail (she was a mean instructor) Eventually I would become a retail buyer for one of the stores I worked for. That was the funnest part to me, that and displays and merchandising. Now I am a housewife. Was a stay at home mom and still in a way am because both my children are on the ASD spectrum. I stopped working to concentrate on my kids while my husband worked full time in media. I got trained in ABA therapy to teach my son. Even when they grow up, there are still vulnerabilities in children with Autism. It is something my kids do not like to talk about so I try to be private in my real life but I will bring it up in blogging sometimes. People judge us all the time for our son and daughter still being at home, but they still have special needs and are vulnerable to real world situations that my husband and I try our best to teach them about. Unless someone knows Autism they will never understand the fears parents of these beautiful children go through daily worrying about them. As you know, being a mom yourself, you will always worry.

Wow……..it sounds like you grew up with a mom that was very similar to mine and it was a whole lot of no fun. I love that you have done so much for yourself and created such a beautiful life for your family. I do know how people with judge when they have no idea what it is like to live a differently in this world. God bless you for doing what is BEST for your children because in the end, that is all that really matters. Although my kids don’t have Autism, they all have a chronic illness and I know how scary it is to let them out into the world as some have more “issues” than others.
        Thank you for sharing all of this…….I know it takes courage to talk about upbringing and trials we have faced in life. God bless you my friend………..I feel so honored to be able to interact with you!

8. I love getting visits and comments from you Wendi, sorry so long in getting back. I am up north right now and was busy with the mess we left the last we left because of the electricity that went. You are a great mom because you care so much and worry for your kids, this is how all moms should be. I bet your home is fun too. When you grow up with so many restrictions and fear of perfectionism in a home environment, once you leave that environment, you make sure to always live laugh with creativity and peace. Just a good place to be and a place where anyone wants to just relax and hang out. We need more homes like that, too many houses out there in the world…home is definitely where the heart is. God bless you all as well and stay safe out there, wow is the tension and fear building.

Thank you so very much for your kind and encouraging words……..I hope you are not overwhelmed by all you needed to do to take care of your place up north. Please stay safe too! Sending you love.

10. Today was a slow day and a break for us all. It is nice getting out to the country.

so happy to read that you have had a slow day and are able to enjoy the country!

12. Yes, those days are always so nice, we all need that.

6. Your basket turned out beautiful! I love thrift store shopping for crafting projects, but we have no thrift stores anywhere near us. 😦

Love your kitchen! That table…oh, my…. ❤

1. Thank you. When my husband saw that table on the side of the road I thought he was out of his mind for grabbing it but then I did not see what he saw when he grabbed it. Then he took it home and him and our son worked their magic and what a beautiful kitchen island table they made together. That is my favorite part too.